Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
PhotoSmart 5520
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello all,

AT&T just gave us a new Modem/Router.  Ever since, our PhotoSmart 5520 drops off the network after a few minutes.

• This happens even when I'm accessing the printer's configuration webpages. (It's not a timeout or sleep mode)
  • I've reset the Networking to factory defaults and the printer to factory defaults.  Then set everything back up.
  • I've changed the AT&T Wifi to allow for both WPA and WPA2, instead of just WPA2.
  • Turning the printer off, then on allows it to print.
  • The printer is completely off the network.  Can't even ping the unit.
  • All power save settings are turned off in the printer.
  • Firmware in the printer is up to date.

Anyone seen this?  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-John

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@ChipConnJohn

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂 

I read that you have an HP Photosmart 5520 e-All-in-One Printer and since the time the modem/router was replaced, the printer disconnects from the wireless network after a few minutes. You have reset the work settings and also the printer to factory settings and issue persists. You have done a commendable job in troubleshooting. Not worry though as I have a few suggestions. 

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Do other devices remain connected to the wifi while the printer disconnects?
  • DO you have to restart the printer to connect to the wifi network does it connect by itself?

I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Disconnect the power cable from the printer while the printer is still ON.
  • Disconnect any other cables if connected the printer.
  • Press and hold the printer’s power button for 15 seconds.
  • The printer should be directly connected to the wall outlet and not to a surge protector. Reconnect the power cable to print and the printer should power ON by itself. If the printer doesn’t power ON then please manually power it ON.

If f the issue persists then please perform the steps as described in detail from this link: Printer Does Not Maintain Wireless Connection (Step 11: Assign a manual IP address to your printer is the most important step in this link)

Once you have performed the steps, please test the printer on the wifi. If printer disconnects life before then add a TCP/IP port by following the below steps:

• Search Windows for devices, and then select “Devices and Printers” in the list of results.  
  • Right-click the name of your printer, and then select “Printer Properties”. 
  • The Properties window opens. 
  • Click the “Ports” tab, and then click “Add Port”. 
  • Select “Standard TCP/IP Port”, and then click “New Port”. 
  • Type the printer’s IP address that you wrote down earlier, and then click “Next”. 
  • Select the new “Standard TCP/IP Port” from the list, and then click “OK”. 
  • Follow the on-screen instructions to finish the setup. Now try printing. 

I hope this information helps. Please do not hesitate to reply. Cheers! 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.