Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

PRINTER DID NOT WORK - CLOSING THE FORUM.

{origninal thread title restored to make topic more searchable}

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

A simple quick recommendation that I would try is this. 

Remove the cartridges from the printer. After they are out, try a hard reset on the printer. Once the printer comes back on and asks for the cartridges, then go ahead and put them back in.

Follow these steps to perform a hard reset on the printer.

1. Press the Power button to turn on the product.

2. With the product turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.

3. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

4. Wait at least 15 seconds.

5. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

6. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.

7. If the product does not turn on by itself, press the power button to turn it on.

Try that and let me know if it helps. If it doesn't, then there is probably a more serious hardware issue with the printer. Especially if you have already gone through the troubleshooting guides already. There is one more thing we can try, which requires a certain kind of reset on the printer, but I will have to private message you the steps for that. 

If I have been helpful or if you’d like to say thanks you can click the white star under my name to give me Kudos.  I really appreciate it!

Best of luck,

Kyle

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature

View solution in original post

80 REPLIES 80
HP Recommended

Where did you purchase the cartridge from? I would recommend returning it or exchanging it, because it sounds like the actual cartridge is defective. 

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

FORUM COMPLETE - DELETE

HP Recommended

A simple quick recommendation that I would try is this. 

Remove the cartridges from the printer. After they are out, try a hard reset on the printer. Once the printer comes back on and asks for the cartridges, then go ahead and put them back in.

Follow these steps to perform a hard reset on the printer.

1. Press the Power button to turn on the product.

2. With the product turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.

3. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

4. Wait at least 15 seconds.

5. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

6. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.

7. If the product does not turn on by itself, press the power button to turn it on.

Try that and let me know if it helps. If it doesn't, then there is probably a more serious hardware issue with the printer. Especially if you have already gone through the troubleshooting guides already. There is one more thing we can try, which requires a certain kind of reset on the printer, but I will have to private message you the steps for that. 

If I have been helpful or if you’d like to say thanks you can click the white star under my name to give me Kudos.  I really appreciate it!

Best of luck,

Kyle

Signature
HP Recommended

For two days this printer would not work but I turned it on this afternoon to attempt another hard reset (like the one you have so kindly written out the steps for) but I thought I'd try printing a document first - just on the offchance it would work. Apparently it took two days before the printer decided to work because now it's up and running. Perfect black ink on all pages with no muted color. I guess it just needed time to recoup or something. 

Thank you so much for your time and assistance. I have copied your hard set info just in case this printer decides to glitch again. I truly appreciate your time and help!

HP Recommended

Awesome! I'm glad that you were able to get this issue resolved. 

Have a great weekend and if you run into any other issues, just let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Best of luck,

Kyle

Signature
HP Recommended

Hi,

i have the same issue as above, printer will not print with black, instead it appears a silver/grey type colour.

have tried 2 lots of new ink (genuine HP) with no joy,

warranty expired on 4th April, error occured on 14th of April,

ive tried all the suggestion but to no avail - but using alot of colur ink in the process!

please help!

HP Recommended

cahal81,

Have you tried cleaning the print heads? It should have done that anyways though when you installed the cartridges. The print head in your unit might just be going bad. If so then that is a hardware issue and if you are out of warranty, then you aren't left with many options. If this printer has a replacement print head (some are removable  some are not) you could go that route, but it's not a guarantee that will fix it. Even though I know this computer isn't that old, I hate to say it, but you may have to buy a new one. 

Signature
HP Recommended

I have a Photosmart B209-A that either will not print black if I sent the print quality to fastdraft, but will print very faintly if set to the highest quailty.  I have 2 seperate black ink cartridges I am trying and the happens with both.  I've tried cleaning and aligning the print head as well as a hard reset.  Also the printer is very loud and squeaky I don't know if that is related but what can be used to lubricate it?

HP Recommended

Hi Kyle,

I have tried your first step, however, it did not work - I believe I may need that certain kind of reset - PLEASE HELP!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.