cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
BigKeith
Level 1
8 5 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Photosmart 5520 not printing borderless

HP Recommended
Photosmart 5520
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

Hi,

I have a Photosmart 5520 printer and use Mac computers (and sometimes ipads/iphones). One of the features of this printer that led to me buying it is that it is meant to have borderless printing. Most of my printing is done from MS Word. Although the printer is meant to be borderless, if I have Word documents with headers/footers, they always get cut off. There is at least a good centimetre or two of white border around the documents that I print. This is very annoying if I have spent a long time formatting a document assuming that there will be no borders!

Can someone tell me how I am meant to print borderlessly? I am assuming that it is just a setting somewhere that I am missing but I cannot find it!

Is this something that I will have to set up on all devices that use the printer? Or can I somehow make it a setting on the actual printer so that everything sent to it prints borderlessly?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Bob_Headrick
Level 16
Level 16
33,282 26,636 2,422 8,909
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The Photosmart 5520 (and other HP printers) can print borderless, but with a few cavaets:

• Borderless printing is only enabled when printing on photo paper.  (Plain paper would cockle if printed to the edge, this would cause jamming.)
  • When printing borderless the print is oversized by a few percent to make sure that the image prints without leaving any white space if the media is printed skewed.  
  • Borderless printing (and photo media selection) are not compatible with two-sided printing.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"

0 Kudos
BigKeith
Author
Level 1
8 5 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thats very annoying! That should be clearly stated in the advertising!

However, I should still be able to print the footers of a Word document, it is not like they go too close to the edge. How can I ensure my footers are printed? I think a 2cm margin for a text document is overkill...

0 Kudos
Bob_Headrick
Level 16
Level 16
33,282 26,636 2,422 8,909
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Do you have A4 size media specified in the driver?  If you have specified Letter size (perhaps the driver default) you would end up with ~ 2cm margins on A4 media.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation