Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Please help!  I used brand new genuine HP cartridges on my printer and the black ink will not print.  Have not had this problem before.  I went through the HP online troubleshooting solutions a few times and all this did was use up about a third of the new colour ink.  Colours are printing OK, it is only the black ink.  Printer shows a full ink level for the black and the pad is wet. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
A lot of folks with this printer are having the same issue, and performing a 'print head cleaning' or 'alignment' using the printer software or manually through the control panel does not work.  Resetting does not work.  The only fix I have found was through experimenting on my own, and these are the results.  If your warranty has expired and you're ready to trash it, give this a shot first.  It involves removing the print head, which there is no documentation on, because this specific model does not allow it without disassembling the unit, to a certain degree.  I assure you, it is possible and relatively easy if you are somewhat mechanically inclined.

The issue with this printer is that the black ink tends to leak and dry up under the print head assembly.  You may notice a pool of black ink towards the right of the printer under where the carriage sits when it is in the 'off' position, or not in use.

Disclaimer:  I am not an HP technician.  Performing this disassembly will void your warranty if it has not already expired.  I am not responsible for any damage caused by YOU taking your printer apart.  I am only giving these steps to help those people out that are about to trash a decent printer.

You will need a small STAR HEADED screwdriver to remove the screws.

1.  Remove the sticker that has the model number on the cover, towards the right of the printer.  Underneath that sticker is a screw.  Remove it.

2.  Remove the control panel.  If you open the printer lid (as you would if replacing ink cartridges) and look from behind (flashlight needed), you'll see a little snap, simply press it down with one hand and remove the panel with the other starting from the left, and then right.  There will be some resistance, but it shouldn't break.  Careful!! There is a ribbon attached to it that must be removed safely.   Do not tear this ribbon.

3.  You will notice 2 silver screws under the control panel, left and right.  Remove those.

4.  With the lid still open, on the right side, there is a hinge that is hooked to the lid that goes under the cover of the printer.  Unhook it at the lid by pulling it towards the front of the printer.  It may be easier if the lid is not fully opened, and it will give a little resistance.  Don't worry, it wont break.  Oce you have it unhooked, open the lid all the way it can go and let it be.

5.  You will see a series of screws along the top perimeter of the cover.  Remove them all and don't forget the ones in the back.  Then remove the lid itself by lifting up.

6.  At this point, you can move the carriage assembly to the left towards the center.  To remove the print head assembly, you need to squeeze the tabs and gently remove it.  It may be easier to do it one side at a time.  CAREFULL!  There are 3 ribbons on the back of the print head assembly!  Remove the springs and the ribbons.  NOTE:  The springs are attached big end on the print head assembly, the small ends on the carriage assembly.

NOTE:  The placement of the dark ribbon that goes across the printer and how it is slipped into the back of the print head.  You will get a CARRIAGE JAM ERROR if you do not put it back properly.  The dark ribbon interacts with a sensor on the back of the printhead to determine its placement within the printer.

Do not use alcohol or any amonia based cleaners to clean the print head.  What I did was got a small bowl of hot (not boiling) water and carefully placed the print head in it, just enough to soak the bottom.  DO NOT GET THE SMALL PC BOARD WET!!!!  DO NOT GET WATER ONTO/INTO THE PORTS WHERE THE INK CARTRIDGES GO.  Use a coffe filter to clean the print head after soaking for about 30 seconds.  Change out the water and repeat until you're satisfied.  (I soaked and cleaned twice.) Gently shake the excess water out onto a few paper towels and let it sit for a minute or so.  It should dry quickly. 

Reverse the disassembly order to put the printer back together.  ONCE AGAIN TAKE NOTE:  You will get a "Carriage Jam" Error if you do not place the print head back in with the dark ribbon that goes across the printer BETWEEN the small sensor on the back of the print head.  You can't see the sensor itself.  The best way to describe it it a pice of plastic on the back of the print head, a small gap underneath it, and then another piece.  The ribbon goes in that small gap.  Its a little tough getting it back in.  The easiest way to get the springs back in is to place the print head back into the carriage assembly, then start from the back and stretch it to the front.

I apologize for the wall of text and lack of pictures.  I'm just remembering this from 20 minutes ago

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
HP Recommended

Hi @Puffo

Is the printer still within warranty?

Black not printing

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Ink-Toner-Cartridge-Printhead-Issues/Black-not-printing/m-p/2926025

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

No I don't think it is within warranty.

HP Recommended

You can check the warranty status by entering the serial no. below

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/weInput?cc=ie&lc=en

HP Recommended

The warranty has expired.

HP Recommended

Hello Puffo,

I would like to suggest that you may want to call into HP Technical support. Although, your printer is out of warranty HP does provide warranties on their ink cartridges as well. For this reason I think it would be best if you contacted HP technical support for repair options.

US support link to contact options for laptops purchased in the US.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/contacthp?cc=us&lc=en

Outside of US support link to contact options for laptops purchased outside the US.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

If it is the ink cartridge this would be the best route for you to go. If it is diagnosed as the printer you can re-post here and we can provide what assistance we can.

I would like to thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
HP Recommended

Hi @Puffo

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner on this. I'm going to private message you (check out the envelope at the top right corner)

Thanks

Ciara

HP Recommended

Please help

HP Recommended
A lot of folks with this printer are having the same issue, and performing a 'print head cleaning' or 'alignment' using the printer software or manually through the control panel does not work.  Resetting does not work.  The only fix I have found was through experimenting on my own, and these are the results.  If your warranty has expired and you're ready to trash it, give this a shot first.  It involves removing the print head, which there is no documentation on, because this specific model does not allow it without disassembling the unit, to a certain degree.  I assure you, it is possible and relatively easy if you are somewhat mechanically inclined.

The issue with this printer is that the black ink tends to leak and dry up under the print head assembly.  You may notice a pool of black ink towards the right of the printer under where the carriage sits when it is in the 'off' position, or not in use.

Disclaimer:  I am not an HP technician.  Performing this disassembly will void your warranty if it has not already expired.  I am not responsible for any damage caused by YOU taking your printer apart.  I am only giving these steps to help those people out that are about to trash a decent printer.

You will need a small STAR HEADED screwdriver to remove the screws.

1.  Remove the sticker that has the model number on the cover, towards the right of the printer.  Underneath that sticker is a screw.  Remove it.

2.  Remove the control panel.  If you open the printer lid (as you would if replacing ink cartridges) and look from behind (flashlight needed), you'll see a little snap, simply press it down with one hand and remove the panel with the other starting from the left, and then right.  There will be some resistance, but it shouldn't break.  Careful!! There is a ribbon attached to it that must be removed safely.   Do not tear this ribbon.

3.  You will notice 2 silver screws under the control panel, left and right.  Remove those.

4.  With the lid still open, on the right side, there is a hinge that is hooked to the lid that goes under the cover of the printer.  Unhook it at the lid by pulling it towards the front of the printer.  It may be easier if the lid is not fully opened, and it will give a little resistance.  Don't worry, it wont break.  Oce you have it unhooked, open the lid all the way it can go and let it be.

5.  You will see a series of screws along the top perimeter of the cover.  Remove them all and don't forget the ones in the back.  Then remove the lid itself by lifting up.

6.  At this point, you can move the carriage assembly to the left towards the center.  To remove the print head assembly, you need to squeeze the tabs and gently remove it.  It may be easier to do it one side at a time.  CAREFULL!  There are 3 ribbons on the back of the print head assembly!  Remove the springs and the ribbons.  NOTE:  The springs are attached big end on the print head assembly, the small ends on the carriage assembly.

NOTE:  The placement of the dark ribbon that goes across the printer and how it is slipped into the back of the print head.  You will get a CARRIAGE JAM ERROR if you do not put it back properly.  The dark ribbon interacts with a sensor on the back of the printhead to determine its placement within the printer.

Do not use alcohol or any amonia based cleaners to clean the print head.  What I did was got a small bowl of hot (not boiling) water and carefully placed the print head in it, just enough to soak the bottom.  DO NOT GET THE SMALL PC BOARD WET!!!!  DO NOT GET WATER ONTO/INTO THE PORTS WHERE THE INK CARTRIDGES GO.  Use a coffe filter to clean the print head after soaking for about 30 seconds.  Change out the water and repeat until you're satisfied.  (I soaked and cleaned twice.) Gently shake the excess water out onto a few paper towels and let it sit for a minute or so.  It should dry quickly. 

Reverse the disassembly order to put the printer back together.  ONCE AGAIN TAKE NOTE:  You will get a "Carriage Jam" Error if you do not place the print head back in with the dark ribbon that goes across the printer BETWEEN the small sensor on the back of the print head.  You can't see the sensor itself.  The best way to describe it it a pice of plastic on the back of the print head, a small gap underneath it, and then another piece.  The ribbon goes in that small gap.  Its a little tough getting it back in.  The easiest way to get the springs back in is to place the print head back into the carriage assembly, then start from the back and stretch it to the front.

I apologize for the wall of text and lack of pictures.  I'm just remembering this from 20 minutes ago

HP Recommended

What a genius!  This is such an old problem and the printer has just been sitting there for such a long time only being used for scanning but it now prints again!  I have never done anything like this before with electronic goods but thanks to Blunticus' great instructions I was able to clear the blocked print head and put the whole thing back together again.  To think others have put their 5520 on the scrapheap when some simple help from HP could have solved the problems.  Congrats to Blunticus - problem solved.

Puffo

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.