cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ricksmom
Author
Level 2
12 11 1 0
Message 11 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I reran the wireless printer setup (which I have done before), put in the WEP key from the router and the network name.  I prined the Wireless Network Test Results page adn it said that "No Problems Found".

Wireless on, wireless working, signal quality excellent.  

I tried printing both from the macbook and the iphone.  

The macbook says that the printer is idle and has the message "The printer is not responding".

The iphone . . . I opened up the Print Summary page and it says tha the "Printer is offline".

@treeBear wrote:

Could you please try to rerun "Wireless Setup Wizard" to reconnect your printer to the network again.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
ricksmom
Author
Level 2
12 11 1 0
Message 12 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Okay: 

Yes, the URL listed on the Configuration Page is the same that I tried before, but for good measure I tried them both again and nothing happened. 

The Communication Mode does say "Infrastructure".

And yes, on the iphone, the IP Address is identical except for the last number.

@VancDarkstar wrote:

Ricksmom,

I suspect that the printer isn't really connected to your wireless network.  Confirming that can be a bit tricky, but let's try.  In another reply to your question, treebear suggested printing a Printer Diagnostic Page.  I'd like you to try something slightly different.  Let's print the HP Network Configuration Page.  Once again, touch the wireless icon at the top of the front-panel.  When the information screen shows, please press the "Print Info" button.  This will print out the 2 page HP Network Configuration Page.

On the first printed page, please look at the "URL(s) for Embedded Web Server" line.  Just double check that the address with the http:// followed by the numbers is what you used when trying to connect to the printer's Web pages from your iPhone using the Safari application.

Next, I'd like to make sure that under the section titled "802.11 Wireless", that the line "Communication Mode" indicates "Infrastructure".

Finally, I'd like to ask that on your iPhone, you tap Settings, and then Wi-Fi.  Your phone should show your network's name with a checkmark to the left of it.  Tap on the 'i' in the circle to the right of the name.  Look at the IP Address on the phone, and make sure that it closely matches the IP Address listed under section "IPv4" on the HP Network Configuration Page that you printed out.  By closely, I mean that the first 3 of the 4 numbers separated by '.' match.

Let me know what you see!

VancDarkstar

ricksmom
Author
Level 2
12 11 1 0
Message 13 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@SunnyRain wrote:

Can you verify the connection by openning a web browser and try to view printer's home page?

I am an HP employee.

I was able to download the Web Services Summary from the internet, giving me my HP email address.

VancDarkstar
Level 3
Level 3
32 15 1 5
Message 14 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ricksmom,

One more thing that I'd like to try in order to try to pin down the problem.  Please open Safari on your MacBook Pro.  In the menu bar at the top of the screen select Safari, and then Preferences.  In the Preferences window click on Advanced.  The second section should be titled 'Bonjour'.  Please turn on Bonjour in the Bookmarks menu.  You can then close the Preferences window.

Again in Safari, click on Bookmarks in the menu bar at the top of the screen.  Scan down the bookmarks list until you see "Bonjour".  As you hover the mouse cursor over Bonjour, a pop-up menu will display, hover over Printers.  Does your printer show up?

VancDarkstar

I am an HP employee
ricksmom
Author
Level 2
12 11 1 0
Message 15 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@VancDarkstar wrote:

Ricksmom,

One more thing that I'd like to try in order to try to pin down the problem.  Please open Safari on your MacBook Pro.  In the menu bar at the top of the screen select Safari, and then Preferences.  In the Preferences window click on Advanced.  The second section should be titled 'Bonjour'.  Please turn on Bonjour in the Bookmarks menu.  You can then close the Preferences window.

Again in Safari, click on Bookmarks in the menu bar at the top of the screen.  Scan down the bookmarks list until you see "Bonjour".  As you hover the mouse cursor over Bonjour, a pop-up menu will display, hover over Printers.  Does your printer show up?

VancDarkstar

When I hover over Bonjour, it says Photosmart 6520. Just for the heck of it I tried printing again.  It goes to "13% complete" then to idle and stops.  

VancDarkstar
Level 3
Level 3
32 15 1 5
Message 16 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ricksmom,

So from the Bonjour browser built into Safari on your MacBook Pro we know that the printer is on your wireless network, and that Bonjour discovery is working (needed for the iOS based iPod and iPhone to discover it).  However, the fact that the print job stopped part way seems to indicate that there are still network connectivity issues.

On the HP Network Configuration Page, there is a line "Signal Quality (1 - 5)" under the section titled "802.11 Wireless".  We'd like to see a 4 or a 5 indicating a good, stong signal.  If you have a low signal strength (1 through 3), then you might try moving the printer closer to your Verizon wirelss modem / access point to see if that improves things.

If you have a good signal strength (a 4 or 5) you might want to look at the second page of the HP Network Configuration Page, it lists other wireless networks that your printer can 'see'.  Are there other wireless networks on the same channel as your wireless network, and to they have a signal strenght similar to the one for your network (on this page the signal strength is expressed in dB, and smaller numbers are stronger)?  If there are on or more wireless networks on the same channel as yours is, and if they have relatively similar signal strengths, you might want to consider moving your wireless network to a different channel (one that looks to be clear on the second page) using the Verizon modem / access points embedded web server pages.

Let me know if this helps or not.

VancDarkstar

P.S. -- most wireless networks in the United States are on channels 1, 6 or 11.  It's good to not be on channels close to other networks.  For example, moving your network from channel 1 to channel 3 to avoid a nearby network on channel 1 is not very effective.  It would be better to be on channel 6 or 11 if they appear to be clear of nearby strong networks.

I am an HP employee
ricksmom
Author
Level 2
12 11 1 0
Message 17 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@VancDarkstar wrote:

Ricksmom,

So from the Bonjour browser built into Safari on your MacBook Pro we know that the printer is on your wireless network, and that Bonjour discovery is working (needed for the iOS based iPod and iPhone to discover it).  However, the fact that the print job stopped part way seems to indicate that there are still network connectivity issues.

On the HP Network Configuration Page, there is a line "Signal Quality (1 - 5)" under the section titled "802.11 Wireless".  We'd like to see a 4 or a 5 indicating a good, stong signal.  If you have a low signal strength (1 through 3), then you might try moving the printer closer to your Verizon wirelss modem / access point to see if that improves things.

If you have a good signal strength (a 4 or 5) you might want to look at the second page of the HP Network Configuration Page, it lists other wireless networks that your printer can 'see'.  Are there other wireless networks on the same channel as your wireless network, and to they have a signal strenght similar to the one for your network (on this page the signal strength is expressed in dB, and smaller numbers are stronger)?  If there are on or more wireless networks on the same channel as yours is, and if they have relatively similar signal strengths, you might want to consider moving your wireless network to a different channel (one that looks to be clear on the second page) using the Verizon modem / access points embedded web server pages.

Let me know if this helps or not.

VancDarkstar

P.S. -- most wireless networks in the United States are on channels 1, 6 or 11.  It's good to not be on channels close to other networks.  For example, moving your network from channel 1 to channel 3 to avoid a nearby network on channel 1 is not very effective.  It would be better to be on channel 6 or 11 if they appear to be clear of nearby strong networks.

Okay, my signal quality is at 5, so that's okay.  

My channel is 11, and there are three others being picked up at 11, too.  there are two others at 6, and the other 6 networks are at 1. I know that the Verizon rep moved me to 11 yesterday.  

My signal strength is -32, where the other three networks at channel 11 have signal strengths of -85,-89, and -91.  That doesn't seem to be similar enough to mine to interfere, does it?  

I turned on my old HP laptop to see if it was a mac only problem, but it won't print from Windows Vista either.  

I really appreciate all of the effort you and the other posters are putting into this problem, but I have a feeling that I'm not going find a solution.  Maybe a new router?  

VancDarkstar
Level 3
Level 3
32 15 1 5
Message 18 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ricksmom,

You're right about the low signal strenths on the other wireless networks on the same channel; I too wouldn't expect them to interfere enough to be a problem.  And yes, the printer is reporting a nice, strong signal from the access point.

Given that Windows OS is also having issues printing, I'm going to point at the Verizon modem  / access point as a likely source of the problem.  This would be bourn out if you find that printing over the Direct Print wireless connection to the printer works.

Sorry that I didn't have an easy fix for the problem.  But hopefully we've added some clarity as to what might be going on.  Please let me know if you have additional questions related to this or other issues with your printer.  I'd certainly like to have you in a position in which printing is very reliable.

VancDarkstar

I am an HP employee
ricksmom
Author
Level 2
12 11 1 0
Message 19 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@VancDarkstar wrote:

Ricksmom,

You're right about the low signal strenths on the other wireless networks on the same channel; I too wouldn't expect them to interfere enough to be a problem.  And yes, the printer is reporting a nice, strong signal from the access point.

Given that Windows OS is also having issues printing, I'm going to point at the Verizon modem  / access point as a likely source of the problem.  This would be bourn out if you find that printing over the Direct Print wireless connection to the printer works.

Sorry that I didn't have an easy fix for the problem.  But hopefully we've added some clarity as to what might be going on.  Please let me know if you have additional questions related to this or other issues with your printer.  I'd certainly like to have you in a position in which printing is very reliable.

VancDarkstar

Yes, that's pretty much the conclusion that I was coming to, especially after it was clear the problem wasn't limited to Apple products.  Well, at least I can use Direct Print for now, even if it is a pain.  Verizon has a deal going on for their new router, looks like they're about to make a sale.  I love this printer, so I certainly want to take advantage of it.  

Thanks so much for your help.  How lucky was it that this happened on Ask The Expert Day!

treeBear
Level 1
Level 1
11 9 0 1
Message 20 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ricksmom wrote:
I really appreciate all of the effort you and the other posters are putting into this problem, but I have a feeling that I'm not going find a solution.  Maybe a new router?  

This is a long shot. But since we are out of ideas, please try to change the router setting from WEP to WPA2 and try the connection again. Since WEP is very old standard, some routers may have some legacy defects that were never fixed. 

Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you. .
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation