Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Working with a PS 7520 AIO that prints great, but the problem is when the printer cartridge tray cycles sometimes it makes a very loud clicking noise like gears are trying to move but are slipping.

I can not see anything that could be causing this and I need to know if this is normal or if the printer should be repaired or replaced.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi JoeMac123.

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

Sorry to hear that your printer is making a loud grinding noise from time to time. I suggest that we start off with a couple easy troubleshooting steps. Fist step that I always like to start with is, please make sure that the printer power cable is connected directly to a wall outlet. HP printers already have a built in surge protector and if you have it connected to a power bar/strip, the printer will NOT get all the power needed to function properly. Here is a document the explains the Issues when Connected to an Uninterruptible Power Supply/Power Strip/Surge Protector.  The second step to take (if the first step does NOT resolve the issue) is to reset the printer.  Please click on the following link that explains the steps in Resetting the Printer.

If these steps do NOT resolve your issue, please feel free to write me back and I will be more than happy to offer additional steps.

Thank you so much for your time.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

These solutions you gave have no bearing whats so ever on the issue at hand.

The printer works fine as in doing the printing jobs, accessing the network and such.

The problem remains when the printer cartridhe tray moves, either at the beginning or end of the printing cycle, there is a ratcheting gear grinding noise. As i already stated it sounds like gears are trying to engage but are just grinding against each other. Now this does not happen every time. Just once in a while. It does not only happen if the printer has been sitting in standby mode for a while between print jobs. Sometimes it happens during multiply print jobs in the same hour.

Now to help issolate this, I have listened more closely to where the sound is coming from and if you are looking at the printer front (meaning touch screen is on the left and power button is on the right) then the sound is definitely coming from the right side of the printer. When the printer lid is opened it seems like the sound is coming from where the cartridge tray is housed when not printing a document.

Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Hello again.

Thank you for writing back. Sorry that the steps I gave you did not resolve the issue. This does sound like a Hardware issue. I would strongly suggest that you contact HP Total Care simply because no real troubleshooting steps exist for grinding gears other than the power cable steps that I gave you. The number to call is 1-800-474-6836 or if you are outside North America, please click on the link to Contact HP Worldwide.

Thank you for your time.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Your suggested solution had nothing to do with the problem question at hand. Did you bother to read the issue before you just used a very trite and standard solution to nothing? Pfft.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.