Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi everybody,

I have a phosmart B110 since 3 years and it worked perfectly until last week.

Suddenly, the black ink didn't print properly, that is, there were white lines in the printed text, so I thought I should replace the cartridge, and so I did. However, even with the new cartrdige the problem persisted.

I cleaned manally the black ink head but it didn't work. I also run several times the utility to clean print heads, but I got no results.

If initially I got only the problem of white lines in the black printed text, after several cleaning of the cartridge from the utility menu of the printer, I got no black printing at all.

So, I thought the problem had to do with the entire slot of the print heads, so I replaced it.

But, unfortunately, after having changed the entire slot of the print heads, I still cannot get a black print.

I got normally the other colors print, but not black.

What could be the reason?

Please note that I have already read all the pages about standard troubleshooting (http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02046460).

Thank you for your help,

Bruno

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Solved! I am still more convinced of the programmed obsolescence of my printer.

I have solved my problem and you know how?

I have "fooled" my printer.

The printheads were in good order (I had bought new printheads) and I had already perfectly cleaned the microchip in the printer. So why didn't it print?

Every time I changed the entire printheads slot, the printer did a "mysterious" procedure 4 minutes long.

After changing several times the new and the old printhead slots, the printer started to print again the black ink, initially in a light way, then normally.

So, what has happened???? As I said the printer was entirely in good order, the inks were original and I had followed every other procedure.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Since I have tried all the known steps to solve the problem, I'm getting convinced that the problem has to do with the microchip of the printer, which features a programmed obsolescence of the printer.

HP Recommended

Hi Bruno, one thing that might be worth a shot is soaking the printhead as described below...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Ink-Toner-Cartridge-Printhead-Issues/New-black-cartridge-prints-partial...

1) Get a pan and put 1/2" of very hot (not boiling) water in the bottom.
2) Next remove all the ink cartridges, then remove the printhead assembly.
3) Gently put the printhead nozzles down in the water and let it soak for five minutes.
4) Remove the printhead and gently dry the electrical contacts.
5) Put the printhead back in the printer and then reinstall the ink cartridges.

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

🙂 thank you Ciara,

but as I said in my post, the printheads are new!

The printer doesn't print black with both old and new printheads. And also the inks are new and original.

The black inks flows out of the printheads, I can see it, and the printer correctly sees that there is black ink in the cartridge.

I have used four different original cartridge, so this is not a problem of old ink.

HP Recommended

Solved! I am still more convinced of the programmed obsolescence of my printer.

I have solved my problem and you know how?

I have "fooled" my printer.

The printheads were in good order (I had bought new printheads) and I had already perfectly cleaned the microchip in the printer. So why didn't it print?

Every time I changed the entire printheads slot, the printer did a "mysterious" procedure 4 minutes long.

After changing several times the new and the old printhead slots, the printer started to print again the black ink, initially in a light way, then normally.

So, what has happened???? As I said the printer was entirely in good order, the inks were original and I had followed every other procedure.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply Bruno, and glad to hear it's back working now anyway

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

I have a solution that works! Mind you I have conferred with the HP support pages and have always followed their advice about:

- verify inks are not empty

- run the priner cleaning routine in the printer HP Utilities menu

- run printhead clean and leave the printer to sit for half or hour or so

- check the cartridge vent area is clear

- using and (unecessarily replacing) printer cartridges (at $100!).

Fully cleaning the printer head is the key. So much sticky gunk can build up. Take it out an run it under a hot tap!!  For instructions, see:

https://youtu.be/Ql5CPAvTaOE

If that does not work, soak the printer head in a tub of warm water over night. Make sure it is fully dry and insert it back in. It works!

HP Recommended

Thanks so much, Chiara! I am so sad that this happens with each of my HP Photosmart B110a printers. How many people pitch them before consulting the forum!?!

The last two times I've changed the black cartridge, I've had problems. The computer says the ink is fine but it doesn't print a thing! Last time I began switching between old and new cartridges and slowly coaxed the color back.

This time: no help. Here's what I tried first:

a) switching between old and new cartridges (even a second new one!)

b) cleaning the printer heads using HP utility

c) cleaning the printer heads with a  q-tip

d) pulling out the printhead assembly and wiping the contacts and any ink off.

and FINALLY. . . I was ready to throw the **bleep** thing out the window! :HalfEyes:

I was shy of your water-soaking trick (water + electronics just isn't a good idea). But

I did exactly as you said and voilà: it's working like it's brand new!!

:generic:

Thanks again! . . . I love the Photosmart otherwise . . . maybe I will buy HP in the future?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.