cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
bigalf Tutor
Tutor
8 5 0 2
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Photosmart C3180 prints scrabbled text

I have (2) Photosmart C3180 printers, each on separate Wxp Pro Sp3 desktop computers.  Occasionally one printer starts printing scrabbled text in the middle of a page or picture print.  Sometimes, the scrabbled text is spread out (one line at a time) over multiple pages and I have turn off the printer to stop it.  The other printer has always worked correctly.

I have run the latest HP Printer/Scan diagnostic tool and it reports everything as good.  I have even moved the printer to another computer with a fresh install and still have the occasional print problem.  Turning off the printer and restarting the print out always works.  I turned off the printer's advanced features, but that did not help.  HP Update does not indicate any needed updates, but MS Update does indicate (2) optional updates (DOTUSB, DOTPRT) for my C3180 printer.  What does MS know that HP does not?  What does the MS update fix (as there are no details or links back to MS)?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Associate Dean
Associate Dean
8,492 7,850 685 1,165
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

The updates you are wondering about are Microsoft updates to improve the way your printer works over USB, and to improve how your printer works with the print spooler.  Those updates won't fix the problem you're having, but this document should work you through to a fix.  Most of the time, the problem is caused by a faulty USB cord.  Let me know what happens.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Tags (1)
bigalf Tutor
Tutor
8 5 0 2
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Problem solved.  I replaced the USB cable with a new one and have not had any scrabbled printer text since.  Never had a cable go bad before.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Highlighted
Associate Dean
Associate Dean
8,492 7,850 685 1,165
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

No problem.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation