cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
uptheaffiliates
2 1 0 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Photosmart C4780 stuck on HP logo indefinitely

HP Photosmart C4780
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been using this printer for years and it has worked perfectly until now. I recently upgraded my router and when attempting to connect the printer to the new network I have had nothing but headaches. At first I attempted to use WPS as my routher and printer support the feature but the connection could never be established. When I tried to manually connect the printer to my new router, the touch screen became stuck on the HP logo with the blue bar on the bottom. I have left it plugged in for hours, no change. I have unplugged it and waited before plugging it back in, no change. I have attempted to install the proper drivers on my PC and I can now print but only via USB - I cannot print wirelessly and I cannot use the scanner. When I attempt to 'add a new device,' if I select USB connection it tells me it cannot communicate with the printer despite being plugged in. If I select wireless connection it cannot find my wifi network, despite having a strong signal on other devices in the same room.

I have read many of the older posts on these forums about the issue and it sounds like a firmware upgrade was provided some years ago that was meant to address this issue. However, the only available downloads for this item are a driver suite which I have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times on multiple computers.

I also read that having an SSID of 6 characters could be problematic for this printer. When I first attempted to connect, my SSID was in fact 6 characters. I have since changed it to be much longer, but it seems, as it pertains to that particular bug, the damage is done.

Any information regarding a factory reset or some other way to get the printer at least past the HP logo so I can access it's settings would much appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
17,328 17,221 899 2,529
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Good morning @uptheaffiliates,

I can see you have done the necessary troubleshooting already to no avail. You are correct about the firmware update, there is one, but oddly it is not listed under Windows 10. I found the update under Windows 7 and am not certain it will work for you but encourage you to give this a try:

This update will help to prevent and recover a unit from an unresponsive Front Panel when connected via wireless or after running low on ink.

File name: C4700_FWUpdate_4362_HPCOM_v1.exe

Release details

Released: Feb 19, 2011

Version 1.0

Fix and enhancements

This update will help to prevent and recover a unit from an unresponsive Front Panel when connected via wireless or after running low on ink.

Simply click the file name above to begin the downloading procedure.

We won't  be able to access the printer support menu in order to perform a reset thus if this does not resolve the issue, it might be time to consider a replacement. What you can do, is use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Case number and phone number appear.

Please let me know whether the issue is resolved and/or the outcome of your call with phone support.

Feel free to post again if there is anything else I can help you with.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

uptheaffiliates
2 1 0 1
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

This resolved my issue! The update ran for quite a while, told me it failed, and then upon retrying the update it worked. The printer got past the HP logo and connected properly to my new wifi network. Thank you!

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
17,328 17,221 899 2,529
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Please consider marking my previous post that solved the issue as 'Accept as Solution' so that others having troubles can find the solution!!

Happy printing Smiley Happy

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation