Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Photosmart C4780
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Set up wireless printing OK.

Changed ISP.

WPS times out when trying to connect to new router.

How can I change to new network?

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@lpfernee

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums! After reading your post I see you want to connect the printer to the new router. I would like to help you out with this issue today.

Click here to find WPS password of your new router.

• Make sure you know your network name and your security password is handy.
  • On the printer's control panel, go to the Network menu or touch the wireless icon and then go to settings. Select Wireless Setup Wizard. The Wireless Setup Wizard displays a list of wireless networks in the area.
  • Settings may be accessed by touching a wrench icon.
  • Select your wireless network's name from the list.
  • If you don't see your wireless network listed, you can enter your network name manually by scrolling to the bottom of the list. If you enter the name manually it must be exact, including upper and lower case characters.
  • Enter your WEP key or WPA passphrase. You must enter the key or passphrase exactly, including upper and lower case characters. Your printer should connect to your wireless network. If it does not connect, you are given the opportunity to print a Wireless Network Test report that will help you find out what may be wrong.

Follow the steps mentioned under HP Wireless Setup Wizard in the document.

Let me know how it goes.

I hope it helps and if you feel I have answered your question and concerns,

Please mark this post as a solution accepted and Kudos would also be appreciated.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

On this model there is no Wireless Setup Wizard and there is no Wrench icon.

HP Recommended

@lpfernee

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

I understand the situation well.

If you have a WPS button on the new router.

Follow the steps mentioned under WPS(Wi-FI Protected Setup) in the document.

I hope it helps and if you feel I have answered your question and concerns,

Please mark this post as a solution accepted and Kudos would also be appreciated.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for replying.

You have twice mentioned "in the document". Which document are you referring to, please?

HP Recommended

OK. I found the document by using the Ctrl key when clicking on the link.

The document does not show how to use the PIN method.

I've looked at the section on using the push button. My router does have a push button and is set up with WPA2-Personal / AES security.

As mentioned when I first posted, the printer reports that the WPS function has timed out.

HP Recommended

@lpfernee

Thanks for the reply.

Click here and follow the document to setup wireless setup.

You can also refer to this document for wireless setup.

Let me know how it goes.

If the issue is resolved and you appreciate my help,

Please click the "Accept as Solution" button and the "Thumbs Up".

Cheers!

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Please refer to my original post.

I have already set up wireless printing but due to a change of ISP I need to connect to a differnet router.

I asked:

"WPS times out when trying to connect to new router.

How can I change to new network?"

HP Recommended

@lpfernee

Thanks for the reply.

WPS has to setup with in 120secs.

Please try to setup little fast to avoid this issue.

I realize this is a lot of things to consider, but I hope it helps,

And if you feel I have answered your question and concerns,

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I realise that it must happen within two minutes.

I press the printer and the router buttons within a second or two of each other but it times out every time.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.