cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Photosmart C4795 dozes off

Today I finally decided to use the C4795's wireless function on my home network.  Everything connected fine wirelessly, and as I go from computer to computer they could all see it and installed the software for it.

The trouble is that after a period of time, say 5-10 minutes, the printer itself starts acting up.  As in, it either gets terribly slow or stops responding altogether.  Rebooting the printer does the job each time, but what a pain that whoever would like to print something will likely have to reboot the printer before doing it.  So I am asking for assistance resolving this issue.

I am not a wireless or networking newbie, so I have that going for me.  I have tried everything that makes sense.  The printer is assigned a static DHCP IP address via the router to 192.168.1.102.  No firewalls or virus software to speak of that could be hanging it up.

I am convinved that the printer itself is the issue.  On reboot I can type its IP address and get the printer's network menu.  Five minutes later, I try to do the same and the screen hangs.  I verify with the router the printer is still connected, and it is.

I noticed there was a firmware upgrade for certain serial numbers, so I downloaded that and attempted to try it.  However, every time I get an error message that the printer could not be detected.  This includes if I have the printer mainlined into the computer and fully installed with a USB cable, so what gives with that?  (Note that having it installed via USB works 100% perfect.)

Any ideas?  Is the printer dozing off?  The only thing I can think to try next is to assign a static DHCP IP address via the printer's settings instead of the router's.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I should point out that I have done all the tests imagineable to be sure the printer is connected to the network properly.  It always passes the network test reports via the control panel.

I am not using any encryption or security.  I use a MAC address filter on the router, and I have added the printer's MAC to this list.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
20,467 20,434 1,425 4,881
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK, I have a few ideas.  One is to use the printer's settings to set a static IP outside the DHCP range:

Let's set a static IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range).
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Leave the gateway and DNS blank. Click 'Apply'

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.

What brand/model router are you using?  Does it have updated firmware?  This is often a router problem.

Also, MAC filtering is not very secure since it sends the MAC addresses in the clear.  Read more here.  Turn MAC filtering off as a troubleshooting step...

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, you are just detailing the next step I was about to take, but thanks for the assist.  🙂

I am using a WRT300N router, latest firmware appropriate for the model version.

I just changed the settings and will post my findings.

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation