cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
davidc1857
Level 2
14 9 1 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Photosmart C5150 "Offline" after OfficeJet Pro 8600 installed

I am trying to help a friend with her office printers. For a long time, she has been using an USB connected Photosmart C5150. Recently, I connected it to her network so she could print from other computers to it. It works fine, but it is old and she needs newer features, etc.

So we got her an OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus.

The computer in question is running Windows XP Home, Service Pack 3

Step 1, I needed to move the C5150, so it could not be USB connected anymore. I uninstalled the HP drivers and other software and then reinstalled just the minimum software selectable (I believe it was the print and scan drivers, and the OCR software), telling it to connect via the network. I tested the printer and it worked.

Step 2, I set up the new printer on the network, assigned it an IP address and installed the 8600 driver software. Updated the firmware, etc. The 8600 appears to work normally.

The problem is that the C5150 now shows "Offline" and I cannot print to it. I suspect this has something to do with the TCP/IP port, but I don't see anything wrong in the configuration. The port being used is "HP Standard TCP/IP port". Originally it had the printer name in the address field, but I also tried putting the fixed IP address of the printer there.

For additional information, we also have a Windows 7 laptop on the network. Since the C5150 was already set up in it to print via the network, I simply installed the 8600 software. I can print from either printer on this computer. So at least I know the printer is connected to the network properly.

Any help would be appreciated. If any additional information is required, just ask. I can remote the XP computer from my home.

Thank you,

David Chamberlain

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Level 11
7,948 7,850 685 1,165
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm betting that you set Ink Alerts to "Always." That will eat up your network bandwidth. I would try setting the Ink Alerts to "Only when I print." I'll link a document that shows you how to do that with in XP, and I would do the same thing on the Windows 7 machine to keep it from having any potential problems. Let me know what happens.

Printer Loses the Network Connection in Windows XP after the Computer Is On for Four to Twelve Hours
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
0 Kudos
Highlighted
davidc1857
Level 2
14 9 1 1
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I downloaded and installed the latest version of the 8600 software. I didn't use what came with the printer. I have always done this as a matter of course. I'm also pretty certain that I set the ink alert to only when print, because I didn't figure she needed it any other time. I will check it though.

Just to be clear though, it's not like the C5150 only works part time, or only for awhile. It is simply listed as "Offline" period. It will not print at all.

Thanks,

David Chamberlain

0 Kudos
Level 11
7,948 7,850 685 1,165
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Keep me posted.
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation