Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 2
32 27 0 0
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post

Solved!

Photosmart Premium C309G Linux compatible?

HP Recommended

Is the HP Photosmart Premium C309G printer Linux compatible?  Linux compatibility is a criteria before I purchase a printer, and I am curious to find out.

I note the similar (but not identical) model C309A is compatible, as noted here:  http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/supported_devices/photosmart.html   If the C309G has the same level of compatibility as the C309A, I will be happy .... but its not clear to me if the C309G can use the same HPLIP/CUPS/Linux driver as the C309A. 

I'm an openSUSE user, and reasonable familiar with Linux.

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
32 27 0 0
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended
In reply to my own post/thread, I found a post by a Ubuntu user who noted they had problems with the C309G: https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/85191  They can print (across the network) to the C309G but they can not access the C309G scanner over the network. It appears they were also unsuccessful over a direct USB connection. ... which leads me to believe this HP Photosmart Premium C309G printer is not yet supported for Linux. But I am not certain on this.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10
4,502 4,478 304 1,046
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended
It doesn't seem like the printer currently has Linux drivers. Quite surprising, because HP usually has very good linux driver support. I'm hoping the next release of HPLIP will have the C309g and C309n drivers.
I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
32 27 0 0
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I also hope there is support in the near future for this printer in HPLIP.  

I note on this French forum, that a Ubuntu user managed to get the printing (working via Network, I believe) and also scanning working (possibly also via network, although my French is too weak to say for certain):  http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.php?id=347797  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
1 1 1 0
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Actually, there is pretty good support for the C309G.  I just bought one earlier today and have set it up with Ubuntu 9.10.

You need to use HPLIP.  Ubuntu 9.10 appears to come with version  3.9.8.  I manually installed 3.9.10:

1. Go to http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/install_wizard/index.html 

2. Select your Linux distro and version.

3. For printer type, select "Photosmart/Photosmart Pro"

4. For printer model, select "HP Photosmart Premium All-in-one Printer Series - c309g"  (it took me forever to find this in the pick list)

5. Click Next to download HPLIP, even if it tells you your distro includes a version that supports your printer

6. Click Next again to download.  

7. Click the Download HPLIP button.

8. Follow the instructions ("sh hplip-3.9.10.run", basically)

Don't run as root or with sudo.  It will ask for your password later.  Among other things, the setup script installs all the needed packages, including XSane for scanning.

I really appreciate HP's Linux support here, and it's one of the reasons I keep buying HP printers.

-David 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10
4,502 4,478 304 1,046
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Glad to know that Linux support for this printer is good now. It's funny, that despite working for HP and a Linux enthusiast, I've never tested one of our printers on Linux to check compatibility. I guess that's what happens when I need to support Windows users! 😄
I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
32 27 0 0
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thankyou for the assessment on the HP 309g Linux compatibility.  Last night I ordered the HP C309a, because I wanted the CD print function that the C309a has (which the C309g does not).  But if it had not been for the desire to have that specific function, and also if it had not been for the HP C309a being offered with a special price on Amazon.de, I probably would have ordered the C309g instead.  I am looking forward to obtaining the C309a printer and trying it out with openSUSE-11.2 Linux (and also my wife's winXP).  

Message Edited by oldcpu on 11-19-2009 12:50 AM
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
32 27 0 0
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just to note the HP Photosmart Premium C309a arrived today.  I set it up as a stand alone wireless printer/scanner , with a wireless connection to our home router.  I then connected to its printing functions easily from 3 openSUSE-11.2 Linux PCs and one openSUSE-11.1 Linux PC. I had the package hplip-3.9.8 (that I obtained from packman packagers) installed and I setup the printer for network access on those PCs using the openSUSE tool YaST. Printing setup for the 4 openSUSE Linux PCs was under 20 minutes total (average of 5 min each). In contrast it took about an hour to setup a winXP PC (long time to install software off CD, plus some winXP PC firewall issues).

I set up the wireless scanning on 3 of the 4 openSUSE Linux PCs, again using the openSUSE tool YaST.  I used the scanning program "xsane".  The 4th PC is on a subLAN (as opposed to the printer which is on the main LAN wireless) and I have subLAN router firewall issues that are blocking the scan jobs (but not the printing).  Opening up the router's DMZ is not an option as I have that in place for another PC. 

Overall, I am fairly happy.  I still need to figure out how to use the CD label function. Given the dearth of Linux software on this, I may have to run an MS-Windows app under wine to use that capability.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry to jump into this conversation late, but I am having issues printing to the C309g (wired network attached). I have OpenSUSE 11.1. I can enter the ip address of the printer into my browser and the HP page opens up and I can print a test page easily. But attempting to do the same through CUPS (or any application) and I get communication problems.

Can you briefly explain what it was you did in YaST to "setup the printer for network access"? Thanks so much!!

-Matt

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
32 27 0 0
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

See post#19 here:

[code]http://forums.opensuse.org/hardware/406608-hp-wlan-capable-inkjet-printers-under-linux.html#post2072990 [/code]

... that was for openSUSE-11.2, but I recall 11.1 being the same.

ie ...

I went to YaST > Hardware > Priner > Print Configuration ... puzzled for a few seconds, and then pressed > add > connection wizard > Access Network Printer or Print Server Box (I selected that as I saw JetDirect as a submenu and I recall HP wireless printers use that) > TCP/IP (App Socket / Jet Direct) > IP Address or Host Name .... I tried the "lookup" but it did not work ... so then under "IP Address or Host Name" I added the new HP C309a printer's IP address (which one can get from the printer, or get from one's router) which in our case was 192.168.2.112 (for example), .. > TCP Port Number > 9100 (that was already entered) > Select The Printer Manufacturer > selected "HP" > pressed "Test Connection" and got OK Then pressed OK (twice) and in the dialog box noted an entry "HP-socket//192.168.2.112 created by connection wizard".

Then "assign driver" > and in the massive list I searched for and found "HP Photosmart C309a Series hpcups 3.98 (manufacturer-PPDs/hp-hphotosmart_C309a_series.ppd.gz) " . The other alternative has an hpijs selection for this printer, which I did not select.

I selected a4 default print size and named the printer hp_c309a, pressed OK.  If given a choice to select "default" printer, do so.

It brought me to a menu of Printer Configurations, and under that I saw "remote hp_c309a ready " 

... sorry, ... I have to run to work now, and can't post any more at this time.

Message Edited by oldcpu on 11-22-2009 11:28 PM
0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation