Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

The PC is connected to the wireless router and it can send to a brother's printer also connect via the router. 

But the HP PC will not allow me to send to an HP printer without the WPS number of the PRINTER.  I entered the WPS of the router and was told it invalid.   Just amazing to me that this is happening.  Try googling WPS number for HP  printers with windows.  A common problem.

Yet, for some reason,  my Windows HP PC had no problem finding the same printer, getting the drivers from HP and installing the printer.  Just as my wife's HP Windows 10 PC had no problem doing the same with a Brothers printer.    

HP Recommended

This is a stale post, but I came across the same issue myself.  Fortunately, I was able to figure it out without having to rely on this frustrating thread.  (To the so-called experts, it helps us non-experts if you release any pre-conceived notions you have and read the original post carefully and from a fresh, open-minded perspective.  This has nothing to do with the WPS feature on a router.)

For the original poster, and myself, when adding a wireless printer to the (Windows 10) computer, after you select the network printer on your computer display, the computer prompts you for a WPS pin and states that "You can find the WPS pin on your ...." printer or in the documentation it came with.

Immediately go to the LCD display on the printer itself.  (In my case, this was an HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 series).  It will flash a WPS code very briefly.  Mine was 8 digits.  Write this number down, and then enter this code on your computer.

In my case, the printer was grayed out and I had to select it one more time for some reason (but did not ask again for the WPS pin).  It then worked.

HP Recommended

Okay, i have done everything and looked everywhere, and i cannot find this WPS pin. I went through the steps listed, and i still am having no luck. I dont have a touch screen on my printer, but i went through the settings and couldnt find ANYTHING! There is a "WPS PIN" setting, but when i click on it, it says SAVED but doesnt give me the number or the option to create one. HELP PLEASE!

HP Recommended

Hi! @Kelly1027, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Community!

I understand you need to know how to retrieve the WPS password on your printer.

I'd like to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Please provide the product number of your printer and operating system you are running on your PC to assist you better.

Try the steps recommended below.

WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) – WPS has two modes to connect devices together over a wireless connection. One is called "pushbutton" and the other is called "PIN". Pushbutton is by far the easiest method. We will describe how to connect using the WPS push button method, but not the PIN method.

For instructions on starting WPS on your printer consult your printer's manual. However, there are some conditions that need to be met in order to use WPS pushbutton mode:

Both your printer and wireless router must support WPS pushbutton mode. Consult your printer and wireless router manuals.
The wireless router must have a physical WPS pushbutton available.
Your network must use WPA or WPA2 security. Most WPS wireless routers will not connect using the WPS method if WEP or no security is used.
Most WPS wireless routers will not connect using the WPS method if you are using the manufacturer’s default for the network name and no security.
To connect your wireless printer to your wireless router using WPS:

Start the WPS pushbutton mode on your printer. 
For instructions on starting WPS on your printer, consult your printer's manual.
Within 2 minutes, press the WPS button on your router.

• You may also read our Knowledgebase article here. Windows 10 is asking for a WPS PIN?
  • There's also a support document that helps with Wireless/WPS issues. It can be found here.  An 'Enter WPS PIN' message displays during HP printer setup
  •  Last but not least, this article can help to know more information about Wireless printing, especially in this section. 

• WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) – WPS has two modes to connect devices together over a wireless connection. One is called "pushbutton" and the other is called "PIN". Pushbutton is by far the easiest method. We will describe how to connect using the WPS pushbutton method, but not the PIN method

🎥Troubleshoot a Wireless Printer Connection | HP Printers | @HPSupport

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Bless you...your suggestion worked....finally got the printer to be seen by other computers on the WIFI.  Thanks so much!

HP Recommended

Hi community!

The following article may be helpful:

Where to find WPS PIN of my HP printer

SofiaML
HP Support Community

I work on behalf of HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.