Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 2
8 4 2 1
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Solved!

Poor print quality HP Officejet Pro 8620

HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8620
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

I had no print quality problems until I switched to the "HP Instant Ink" cartridges.  I complained and got a second set of cartridges.  But the new set hasn't improved quality. 

I used to print out Gmail messages, and the text was a vivid black.  Now it's a light bluish gray.  Printouts of web pages with smallish text on them looks faded and are virtually unreadable. 

Virtually everything looks like I'm stuck on "Draft" mode.

Changed my defaults to "plain paper-best" and done all the other steps (align, cleaned printheads, etc.) with no improvement in quality.  I also downloaded the print driver again, rebooted, etc.  Paper is the same -- Boise X-9 multiuse copy paper (20 pound, letter size, 92 bright).

Help!  What do I need to do to return to good quality printouts?   Happy to send someone at HP "before" printouts (GMAIL messages printed in December, using standare HP cartridges) and "after" printouts (the same GMAIL messages printed now using the HP Instant Ink cartridges) if that would help diagnose my problem.  Just give me a name and address.

MNY THANKS!

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 9
3,760 3,754 365 676
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I've included a link below to HP instant ink support page which has a contact number and some other contact options such as chat.

https://instantink.hpconnected.com/us/en/r

"
"Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
8 4 2 1
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Many thanks.  I've communicated with them before (when they sent me new cartridges).  I'll try again with them. 

Anyone else have any suggestions about my problem?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
8 4 2 1
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I haven't had the time yet to communicate via the Instant Ink chat line, but I will, hopefully today, and I'll reply back about this serious issue.

The problem continues, particularly disappointing since so much of what I print is for a home business.  What used to be crisp and clean now looks . . .  just plain crummy, with faded blacks and small type almost unreadable.

Again, the only thing that changed was signing up for Instant Ink.  The printer itself was bought in December 2014.

Highlighted
Author
Level 2
8 4 2 1
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bad news, and good news re the print quality problem with my HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Wireless All-in-One Color Inket Printer-Scanner-Copier:

After working with two of the helpful Instant Ink "techs" on the chatline, I was switched over to an expert in HP printer imaging. 

We did some testing, and it was determined that I had a hardware problem.  Good news — finally figured out the problem after more than a month of difficulty.

Bad news:  My 8620 was two and a half months past the warranty.  (The printer was 14.5 months old.  The warranty is for 12 months.)  So, tough luck, no new printhead, ceertainly no replacement machine. 

Also, the well-intentioned testing (involving a restart) disabled the printer.  Now it no longer works at all.

I wound up ordering a rebuilt HP 8620 through the HP imaging expert.  A bit of a discount ($100) from the list price for a new machine, but more than what Amazon or at Wal-Mart sells new machine.

Also -- I bought an extended warranty ($19) to cover the machine for 3 years.

Still not sure if Instant Ink somehow caused my hardware problem. The 8620 was working perfectly until I switched out the previous set of HP regular cartridges with the Instant Ink cartridges (when the printer was 13 months old, one month past the original warranty).   The printer had never been abused in any way, and only moderately used. 

Now awaiting my new rebuilt machine.  Can't print, copy or scan until it arrives.

Lesson:  Always get the extended warranty.  You're out of luck if there's a problem of any kind past 12 months.

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation