Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I just find this problem today (after 1 year of using my officejet pro 8600+) but maybe, it's normal ....

When the control panel is opened, the light on the power button is off and the power button stops working (not possible tu turn the printer on or off) but when the control panel is closed, the power button works as expected !! is this normal ?? I just find this issue today.

Thanks for any answer,

sincerly,

Domi.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Could you provide a few more details?  Do you mean the control panel on your computer?  How is the printer connected - Wireless LAN, LAN or USB?  

I have never noticed this with mine, but I usually leave the printer on all the time and let the power saving put it to sleep automatically when not in use.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hi Bob,

thanks for the reply.

Forget the computer, I mean the 'control panel' on the printer itself, the 'touch screen' which can be retracted (opened/closed); if it's fully opened, the light on the power button (on the printer) is turned off and the button could not be used anymore, the touch screen needs to be fully closed to get the power button fully operatable; I just need to have a confirmation of this.

sincerly,

Domi.

HP Recommended

Hi Domi,

Did you ever get this issue resolved? My OfficeJet Pro 8600 just started having the exact same issue yesterday.

The power button stopped working all of a sudden. When I drop the touch screen, the power button lights up again. When I prop up the touch screen, the power button light goes off and is no longer responsive.

I would love to know if there is a resolution available for this.

Patrick

HP Recommended

Same here.  Just started a few days ago.  Would appreciate an update from those affected above if there is a known simple fix.

HP Recommended

Hi @ georgeedwardg,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you why the power light on the power button is off when the icons on the control panel are active.

This could be how the printer is designed because you may need to finish the work on the printer control panel and close it and then power off the unit. This may stop from turning off the printer accidentally while working on the control panel of the unit.

However, if you still want to turn off the unit, then you may disconnect the power cable from the back of the unit.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Mine was just doing the same thing today.  Dead looking machine.  no power at all.  I tried everything.  Then I finally went old school.  I unplugged it, waited 20 seconds, plugged it back in.  The power light indicator was on!   It worked...lmao.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.