Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

Solved!

Print Cartridges: Refer to printer documentation.

HP Recommended

First off, what kind of error message is this? Thats like breaking a leg and the doctor would say "your not healthy".

Information:

HP photosmart C5280 All-in-One printer/scanner

Connected to Windows 7 64-Bit enterprise edtion (i suggest using enterprise even for home users becasue it does not have the silly DRMs)

I am runing into this issue, which does not allow me to do anything with a printer. no button responds except for On and Off. via software of computer i can initiate scanner, but thats it.

First time i had this, i bought new cartridges, and the prblem was solved for a few weeks, second time that worked for 2 days, third time not at all.

I have tried:

resettling cartridges - 100+ times

Cleaning the contacts - 4 times

Doing a hard reset with plugging the power with printer on and off - at least 3
 times.

Doing a semi-full reset from the reset menu - once

Replacing cartridges - twice (see above).

In case i forgot mentioning, i have tried every troubleshooting i could find on these forums via google, nothing helped at all. The computer thinks there are no catrigdges (the icons dissapeared in Hp solution center). The printer itself gives the error message in the title. I am loosing hope with this one.

Is there any solution or do i have to buy new printer? because it sure wouldnt be HP after the amount of trouble this one gave me. I am even typing this from a HP laptop, which i regret buying now.

so HELP, i want to be able to use your printer, but you wont let me 😞

A solution to force-ignroe the error and print anyway would help, heck i dont even need colours. just let me tell him to ignore the error and try anyway, everything is in good condition, but the stupid printer software does not understand it.

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Level 10
4,377 4,354 444 576
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

From what you describe you are having and issue with your ink system. Now to start, we are going to look at what you have done, and what we need to do. Since you have performed most of the necessary trouble-shooting steps, we're going to move to one that is non-standard, but one that has had a great deal of success.

If this printer has a removable print-head, here is a document on how you can carefully soak it to remove excess ink. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Printing-Questions/HP-6500-Office-jet-E709a-Black-printer-cartrid...

After that, troubleshooting is limited. I will do some research and see what we have available. 

Let me know and have a wonderful day! 

-Spencer 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello. Thank you for your reply.

As per your suggested link, it first asks to see if the vents are clogged. As it is a guide for different model, my cartridges look different. I have a HP350 for black and HP 351 for colour. There are some holes near abive the inkhead (is that corrent name, the place where ink comes out) which i an guessing is there for venting. It was like that straight from the store and is so for all models i have had. does not look like a defect, mroe liek a design, as the palstic is formed this way, not broken. So in the end, no went checking possible, probably due to different models.

The same problem seems to exist with the next part as well. i went to follow the instructions and read it all beforehand. when i opened my printer, to no surprise i saw that there is no gray lever to let me take off the cartridge seating. i trued to find some other way, but the thing seems to be placed firmly in place, surouding the metal bar that moves it around when printing. i didnt use much force not to break it, as it does look quite brittle (its only plastic after all), but doubtful that would have helped, as it does not look designed to come off. To add t that, my printer is C5280, which im guessing falls into C5200 series.

Your solution claims that it doesn ot apply to C5100 series, so very likely the case is it does not apply to whole C5000 series, as C5200 is not mentioned in "good examples" either. In fact, no C or 5000 mentioned in good examples, but i asusme its not a complete list.

So this did not work.

Hopefully your research can bring a solution, i really want to cotinue usign your product and buying your cartridges, but if its unusable, i cant do that.

-Strazdas

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10
4,377 4,354 444 576
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't have access to this particular model, I wasn't sure if it had a removable print-head or not. Unfortunately, looking at the current condition of the printer and the steps which have already been attempted to resolve it (up to a semi-full reset). At this point I would suggest replacing this model. Here are two useful links for information on that :

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02652026

http://www.hp.com/united-states/tradein/home_flash.html

I hope this information is useful to you, if you have any other questions let me know! 

-Spencer 

Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I see. So the only thing i can do is get a new printer now. The links you gave states that they only apply to USA and Canada. As i reside in Europe, this will notbe of use.

I guess ill gave to find a new printer theo ld fashioned way. Well, at least you tried, so kudos for that.

-Strazdas

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10
4,377 4,354 444 576
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am sorry that you were not able to find a resolution as you wished on this issue, but if you would like help in selecting another model I will give that my best shot. HP has vastly improved their inkjet technology in the last couple generations of printers, which has severely cut down on issues as well as cost per page for the ink. 

I hope you have a great day and thank you for the kudos! 

-Spencer 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am also disappointed at the vagueness of the error message and its lack of documentation. It showed:

Print Cartridge(s) Problem
The following print cartridge has a problem:
Tri-color

Refer to printer documentation.

I am using Windows Vista wit a HP Photosmart C4180 All-in-One printer with 98 (black) and 95 (tricolor) cartridges.

Cleaning did not help. The printer does not respond although it will print if I remove the color cartridge.

Is there a way to determine whether the problem is with the cartridge or with the printer?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10
4,377 4,354 444 576
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Joe, the issue would almost certainly be an issue with the cartridge. With this kind of cartridge, it is both a cartridge and a print-head combined. If an issue is detected in that, the mechanics of it would only be effected on your printer side by a possible buildup of ink residue on your electric contacts where the cartridge connects to the carriage. 

My recommendation would be to replace the color cartridge and see if the issue resolves itself. 

let me know if this resolves your issue and have a great day!

-Spencer 

Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spencer:

I bought a new 95 color cartridge and am not getting any error messages. It wasn't the preferred solution but it's better than having to buy a new printer.

Thanks for the info.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10
4,377 4,354 444 576
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Joe, for this printer, if you are not going to use it for an extended period of time you will want to remove the cartridges from the machine and place them in a zip-lock bag and store them in a cool and dark place. I would recommend a refrigerator. This will ensure the longevity of your cartridges. Leaving them out can lead to premature clogging or drying out of the print-head. 

That is fantastic to hear! I am glad you are back up and running, and if you ever have any further questions or issues I hope that you remember the experience you had here on the forums and know that me and my colleagues are here almost 24-7 to help support you and your needs. 

Also, for other users, you can mark one of these posts as the solution so that other customers can easily find how you resolved your issue should they face a similar one. 

I hope you are having a wonderful week, and I hope that the weather where you are located is as beautiful there as it is here!

-Spence
0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation