cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Neil0401
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Print cartridges missing or not detected

HP Recommended
Photosmart c4280
Windows 8.1

I have an HP Photosmart C4280.  Suddenly it started displaying the message Print Cartridge Missing or Not Detected.  Both cartridges are new and genuine HP. The only way I have been able to fix it is to go through a sequence of key presses that starts with pressing ON and Cancel at the same time and navigating through the succeeding menus until I get to "Relock Data Input" shows.  I then press the green button and cancel three times until the display shows properly.  This will revert to Print Cartridge missing or not detected shortly after I have printed the next job.  Any suggestions?  I have replaced the cartridges and cleaned the contacts with no effect.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Gemini02
Retired
Retired
16,806 17,101 1,041 2,642
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Neil0401 ,

I understand that you are getting the error message that the " Print Cartridge Missing or Not Detected".
I would like to help you out with this issue today.

I would do a hard reset to see if that will resolve the issue.
Leave the printer on and unplug the power cable from the printer and wall outlet for 60 seconds.
Then reconnect the power cable to the printer and wall outlet rather than a surge protector.
This ensures the printer is receiving full power and may help this situation.

I have provided a document with some steps to try to see if that will resolve the issue. Some of the steps you have already tried.

An 'Incompatible Cartridge' or 'Print cartridge is missing, incorrectly installed, or not intended f...

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836 if the issue persists. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Have a great day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Neil0401
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your help but I had already tried all those possible solutions.  I have given up and replaced the printer.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation