Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Photosmart Premium c309a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Print instructions not reaching Photosmart Premium c309a after windows update.

Scan and copy works fine, but a few days ago I found that the printing function stopped. 'Devices and Printers' shows no jobs in the print queue. I have tried searching agin for printer, and have a (Copy1) of the printers showing in Devices and Printers but this also doesn't receive print instructions when selected. 

I suspect this was due to a Windows update.  I am running Windows 10.

I didn't make any changes to the computer settings, nor have I downloaded any software or drivers. I have cleared the cache.

I am on wireless internet connection.

I have no error messages. 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @disillusion-d,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are unable to print from the computer to your HP Photosmart Premium Fax All-in-One Printer - C309a on the wireless network.

This issue could occur if the copy 1 printer icon in the devices and printers folder is not selected as default.

Let's go through a few steps to troubleshoot this issue.

I suggest that you right click on the copy1 printer icon in the devices and printers folder and then set it as default. You may delete the other printer icon. 

Also, you may also check the steps in the link: Printer is Offline (Windows)

Let me know how this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Hello Rainbow 23, 

thanks very much for your input. 

I have tried your suggestions, have power cycled the router and the printer, have run the Print and Scan doctor several times. It showed all tests OK but it wanted a software update. I reinstalled the software. I have changed to USB, moved the Usb to a different port, my printer is still not talking to the computer. I have printed out a Printer Statues report using te 'Tools' function on the printer. Its shows network status as 'ready'. Software is shown as being fully up to date. 

I have received this error message: 'Function address Oxfddcf849 caused a protection fault (exception code Oxc0000005)'.

I dont know how helpful this is, but I have run out of ideas! Any help you can give me would be gratefully received.

HP Recommended

Hi @disillusion-d,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the issue still persists and you get an error message: 'Function address Oxfddcf849 caused a protection fault (exception code Oxc0000005)'.

This issue could occur if the software drivers are not configured properly.

Let's go through a few steps to uninstall and reinstall the drivers:

Step 1: Uninstall the Drivers:

Please follow the steps provided to uninstall the printer software in the link: Uninstalling the Printer Software (Windows)

Also, please follow the steps provided below to completely remove the printer software from printer properties.

Steps to remove printer driver files from Print Server Properties:

1. Open the Print Server Properties dialog window by doing one of the following:
    • Click the Start menu and in the search field type 'printui /s /t2' (without the quotes), and then press Enter or click it in the search list.
    • Press WINDOWS-R on the keyboard to bring up the Run window, type in 'printui /s /t2' (without the quotes), and then press Enter or click OK.
    • From the Start menu or the Start screen:
    • Open Devices and Printers.
    • Select any printer and then click "Print server properties" at the top of the window.
    • Click on the Drivers tab.
  2. Select the printer driver you wish to uninstall.
  3. Click the Remove button.
  4. Select "Remove driver and driver package" and click OK.

Step 2: Download and install the Drivers from the link: Full Feature Software and Driver

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended
Hello Rainbow 23,

Thank you for your guidance.

I received a notice 'Function Discovery Print Provider D11 has stopped working'.

Shall I go ahead with instructions as per your post, or is there a different route to take following this notice?
HP Recommended

Hi @disillusion-d,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are getting the error message 'Function Discovery Print Provider D11 has stopped working'. 

Yes, I suggest that you uninstall and reinstall the software by following the steps provided in the previous post.

Let me know if this works.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.