Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a HP Officejet Pro 8600.  I have a print job that won't print and when I try to cancel it, it just shows "deleting", but it doesn't delete and I can't print anything else until I get rid of it.  This happened once before and I don't remember what I did to get rid of the print job.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

From the Control Panel, open Administrative Tools and select Sevices.  Browse down to the print spooler service, right-click it and select Properties then click on the Stop button.  Now browse to C:\Windows\System32\Spool\PRINTERS and delete the job inside this folder - You may need to click a prompt to gain the appropriate authority to open the PRINTERS folder.

☑️ Restart the computer and you should find the document(s) have been removed.

You can check more steps, here: How to Cancel or Delete a Stuck Print Job in Windows 

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi,

From the Control Panel, open Administrative Tools and select Sevices.  Browse down to the print spooler service, right-click it and select Properties then click on the Stop button.  Now browse to C:\Windows\System32\Spool\PRINTERS and delete the job inside this folder - You may need to click a prompt to gain the appropriate authority to open the PRINTERS folder.

☑️ Restart the computer and you should find the document(s) have been removed.

You can check more steps, here: How to Cancel or Delete a Stuck Print Job in Windows 

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
Thanks for the response, but I forgot to say I have Windows 8 and in the Administrative Tools there is no Print Spooler Service.
HP Recommended

Hi,

It should be the same for Windows 8, however I think you've missed a step - you need to first open Services from the link in Administrative Tools. 

You can also open 'Services' if you go to the Desktop, hold down the Windows key and press R to launch the Run window, type services.msc and hit enter.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi-

I'm having the same problem.  I've tried to cancel a print job and when I do this, it just says "deleting" in the queue but it won't delete.   I've tried the steps you listed but I don't have an option to "stop" once I've selected "properties."  I've tried to browse to the place you listed, but there is nothing in the folder to cancel.  Please help!  Thanks!!

HP Recommended

Hi PamelaHK,

I have located a video to help you restart your print spooler. This should help you delete the print jobs that are stuck in the print queue. I am also going to suggest running the Print and Scan Doctor for Windows, which is a diagnostic tool that will try to clear out your print queue as well. Restarting your computer may help delete it as well.

I hope these steps help you!

Regards,

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thanks for the response to my post. I have downloaded the Print and Scan Doctor and hoped this would be the solution.  But, the Print and Scan Doctor won't "find" my printer when it "searches for product."  Nothing shows up in the box.  When I click "retry" it still doest not show up.  I've shut down my computer and restarted.  I've tried to turn my printer off and then on again and still no success.    Thanks for your help!  Pam

HP Recommended

Why don't you come up with a solution that doesn't involve restarting your computer?

Your solution is a big waste of my time.

Maybe we could delete a bunch of register stuff before restarting?

HP Recommended

I have this problem constantly. I have to stop & start the print spooling because resetting it prints up the previous print job over and over again. I also have to shut down after stopping the service. 

No point using your print and scan doctor as it does not recognise my printer in windows 8.1. I have to rely on windows drivers because HP drivers are incompatible. 

Fix your programs, fix your drivers so we can use our printers. I have a HP Deskjet 1050. My daughter has the same problem with her new HP printer. It doesn't even help having a HP computer. 

I am beginning to hate HP. Unfortunately, I splurged out on ink cartridges to a total of $150, so I am stuck with the hassle of trying to get my printer to work. I think I will switch to Canon shortly. I never had issues with their printer software.

Get your act together HP or you will lose your clientele. 

HP Recommended

I followed this and it worked.  Not sure if I needed to, but after deleting the print job, I reset the printer spool to START.  Thanks for your help.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.