cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
barkingsheltie
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Print quality issues X476

HP Recommended
x476
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Had the printer about 3 years. HP replaced twice. Now out of warranty.

We always use genuine HP ink carts - usually from Staples. Last black cart purchased, worked about two days, and then had print quality issues - dropouts. 

Ran Level I and II print head cleaning. Accessed support menu and used print head recovery, and then print head cleaning. 

Argggh..... Dark black just doesnt print at all. On print quality page, each color has three rows, different densities. Last color is black, and top row is blank. 

Printing on colorlok paper. 

I really dont want to buy another cart - they are about $120. I know this printer series has experienced lots of problems - apparently HP has discontinued them. 

Ive watched two youtube videos - about cleaning ink wasting tray, and using soft paper towel and distilled water to gently wipe print head. This is about as far as I can go. I watched HP tech take apart printer last time, and it took over 5 hours, lol. No thanks. 

Should I just throw it in the trash can?

Well, um, I mean recycling center trash can?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
MPRYAN
Level 1
6 6 0 0
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you are familiar with getting into the support menu, I suggest you go to it, scroll to REPORTS MENU, press ok. The scroll to PRINT MECH BUTTON TAP, press OK. Use on screen arrows up to set the # to 21 and press ok.  You are now running the Tap 21. This takes about 3 minutes and has fixed many a PQ issue for me. For really bad issues, you may have to run it up to 4 times.

Please Note: Nothing prints out and the Tap 21 does not signal when completed. You just have to wait a few minutes for the printer to become quiet like a ready state.

0 Kudos
moe1943
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same issue with my printer. only black is bad. running print head clean solve the problem, but next day the same issue.

please let me know if you solved yours

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation