cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Groundhog123
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Printer Claims Jam but is none

HP Recommended
HP Officejet 6500
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

This problem has cropped up a few times and now makes the unit unusable.   On powerup I hear louck clicks at some point and then get various error messages.  Usually it claims there is a paper jam. There is no paper jam and I have looked in every place the manual suggests. None. 

There is no longer a way to open it to replace ink cartridges. However I have been able to catch it in some of the left-right whiz movements, stop the operation and try both HP 920 cartridges and 3rd party ones (that had been workign just fine.)  NO CHANGE.   

In cases where I have been able to get it to sit still and be apparently ready for printing it seems to accept the print job and just sits there blinking the "Printing..." message ion the screen which is a flasehood.  Will sit there in that mode forever. 

So it makes nasty noises while in the print prep cycle and will not work . Is it dead enough to toss out ? 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Chimney_83
Retired
Retired
8,121 8,112 487 951
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings @Groundhog123,

Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are getting paper jam message on your printer. 

Kudos to you for trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own. 

Not to worry, I will be glad to assist you. 

Have you tried to update the firmware on your printer?

Recommend you connect the printer to your computer using a USB cable, download and install the firmware update on the printer. 

Firmware update can be downloaded from www.hp.com/drivers

As you have tried a lot of troubleshooting steps, recommend you refer to this HP Article and try the steps that you might have missed. 

If the issue persists, please contact our phone support for any trade-in or service options available. 

Let me know how it goes. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Groundhog123
Author
3 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The attempt at help via loading a new driver did not help. The installation of the new driver and related system checks failed (undoubtedly because the prblem is some sort of hardware hung up.)   The clacking sould during startup just got worse over time, fake paper jam messages are persistent, it never gets to a ready status free of fake jam messages.

There is such a mess of ink under the normal rest position of the ink holder/writehead that I susicion the excess ink has finally gummed up some electrical contact and/or mechanical cog.   I think if one ever got the thing fully apart, you could wash it out with mineral spirits, clean everything avopiding roller involvement, and "refurbish" it.  I also think that the so-called refurbished units on the market are exactly that -- taken apat and cleaned. 

0 Kudos
DavidSMP
Retired
Retired
12,360 12,338 1,169 2,498
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Groundhog123,

I read the response completely.  You've done excellent troubleshooting and displayed terrific attitude, patience and resolve to try and get the issue corrected. It is greatly appreciated and kudos to you for that. 🙂 As @Chimney_83 is out of office, I am jumping in to assist you.

It certainly looks like a hardware issue with the printer and it may need to be replaced here.

if you've tried all the steps from this document for paper jam issues then the printer needs to be replaced as there is this loud noise as well.

Please contact Hp technical support tog et this done.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

• (1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.
  • (2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.
  • (3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.
  • (4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.
  • They will be happy to assist you immediately.
  • If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. If it does you know what to do. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

Take care now and have a terrific week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation