Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP C309-c
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

This is the first time I have experienced a printing problem.  I changed all color and black ink cartridge to fresh new ones.

Color prints fine on test page but black does not print.  I thought cartridge was defective, therefore, I exchanged black cartridge for a new one.  Same problem. 

I have auto cleaned the printer heads a couple of times.  I have done everything I can think of per manual troubleshooting.  This was not a problem before.  Paper etc. is all aligned.

Can anyone help me as to what I might try next?  Thanks for any advice.  I need my printer!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Katrina24,

Good Day.  A warm welcome to the HP community. I reviewed the post regarding issues with printing in black. I will be delighted to assist you here.

Superb description, brilliant troubleshooting and terrific observations made before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

To assist you with accurate information I would require more information regarding this.

• Did you make a few copies in black directly from the printer?

For now please make 2 copies in black directly from the printer.

If it copies fine, then it is a driver issue.

Please follow these steps to uninstall the printer.

• Uninstall the printer from "programs and features" which can be accessed by doing a right-click on the Windows button (Please have the printer Off and disconnected during uninstallation.)
  • Check in device manager, if the printer is listed there, please delete it. (Right click on the Windows button to access device manager)
  • Go to devices and printers, select any printer listed there and you will get some options on the top. 
  • Click on print server properties. 
  • You will get a popup, click on the drivers tab and delete all the HP printer drivers listed there if any.
  • Delete all the instances of your printer listed in devices and printers.
  • Restart the PC.
  • Once the PC is on the desktop, press Win + R, it would bring a Run dialog box, 
  • Type %temp% in the run box and click Ok or hit the Enter button.
  • It would bring up the temporary files folder. Delete the files in the folder (You might not be able to delete all the files).
  • If possible, delete the printer from the registries using Regedit or using any other 3rd party application.
  • Restart the PC again. 
  • Download the latest full feature driver from https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-photosmart-premium-all-in-one-printer-series-c309/3984414/mo...  and install it on the computer. Please select the correct operating system before doing it.
  • Connect the printer to your computer only when the setup prompts for the printer. 

If it fails to copy, then the printer has a hardware issue and needs to be replaced by contacting HP phone support.

Before that please try all the steps from this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-photosmart-premium-all-in-one-printer-series-c309/3984414/mo... for black not printing and if still fails to work then the printer needs to be replaced.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

• (1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.
  • (2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.
  • (3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.
  • (4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.
  • They will be happy to assist you immediately.
  • If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, please. Please note that I am not overloading you with a lot of troubleshooting steps. Instead, just like you, I am eager to ensure that the problem gets resolved. So I am providing you with more resources and information at your disposal to deal with the situation better.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.  🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.