Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 6960
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My printer connects to my network (wifi). However, my PC  (XPS 15 9550, OS MS Windows 10, automatic updates on w/ all OS "up to date") indicates printer is offline.

If I restart my PC, it will sometimes recognize it. If I turn the PC on first, and then the printer, it will never recognize the printer. If I turn the printer first, then the PC, it used to recognize the printer but no longer. 

If I print a document, it will sit in queue, and if I run HP Print and Scan Doctor it will clear the queue, and the PC will then recognize the printer. However, if I try to run the HP Print and Scan Doctor w/o trying (and failing) to print something first, the HP Print and Scan Doctor says all systems are go but test page failed to print, and it will not fix offline printer issue.

This is getting tiresome. When I first installed the printer last Oct 2016 the PC recognized the printer just fine. Now it refuses to recognize w/o first trying to print, then using HP Print and Scan Doctor, clearing the print queue, and trying again. Any ideas?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi , 

First, let's set a static IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you do not know the range, change the last set of numbers (those after the last '.') to 250
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway.
- Enter 8.8.8.8 for the first DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the second DNS. This is Google DNS. You can choose another external DNS if you wish.
- Click 'Apply'.

Lets Add a TCP IP Port on your printer. 

Go to Devices and printers 

Right click on the OJ69xx Printer 

Go to Printer Properties 

Click on Port ( On top) 

If port is WSD selected . 

Click on Add port 

Click on new port type . 

Add Port WIzard will Pop up 

Put your Printers IP Address ( Static IP Address ) in the box and Click Next and then Click Finish 

Apply the settings. 

Repost if any clairifications 

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.