cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
jentx
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Printer connection issue... won't print!!

HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8610
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Help!  I upgraded (unfortunately) to Windows 10 in January and it has been non stop headaches.  I had already re-installed the drivers for my OfficeJet Pro 8610 and seemed to be doing fine until today... when literally mid printing the connection stopped and I can no longer print.  The settings page showed my printer as offline (grayed out) but it was not checked in Properties.  I uninstalled and reinstalled from hp.com the newest drivers, but cannot complete the installation because the software doesn't show a connection to my printer!!  I bought new USB cord.  Restarted computer.  Restarted printer.  Help!!

Also, just got it to wirelessly connect... and it works... so the problem is in the wired USB connection.  And, yes, I have tried several different ports.  And my wifi is iffy so I really want a wired connection.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Drakster
Retired
Retired
4,038 3,773 306 604
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @jentx,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I see that you're experiencing connectivity issues with your HP Officejet Pro 8610 Printer. I would be happy to help you and please remember to return to this thread and mark 'Accept as Solution', if I have successfully helped you resolve the issue. If you wish to say 'thanks' for my effort to help, click the 'thumbs up' to give me a Kudos.

I understand the frustration that you're experiencing. It sounds like there is a corrupted print driver or a problem in the USB ports.

I recommend that you use this guide to help determine if there is a problem with the USB ports in the Device Manager.

HP PCs - Troubleshooting USB connections (Windows 10, 😎

If the issue persists, we are going to start by cleaning your computer up.

Disk cleanup in Windows 10

Perform Clean Boot in Windows 10 / 8 / 7

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files. It is always a good id...:

System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files & DISM to fix things SFC cannot. Uninstall and ...

Disconnect the USB connection between your printer and computer now.

Step 1: Remove Printer: We will want a clean slate to install your printer with on the Windows 10 computer. Therefore, I am going to have you ensure no trace of your HP Officejet is currently showing installed on your computer.

1. Click on your Start button

2. Just type Programs and Features. If a search doesn't automatically start, you may need to type Programs and Features in the 'Ask me Anything' box.

3. Click Programs and Features to launch the window.

4. In Programs and Features, a list of programs installed on your computer will populate. Please scroll down the list and look for your HP Officejet If you see your HP Officejet listed, click it and choose Uninstall.

5. Please follow any onscreen prompts to complete the uninstall. Once the uninstall has completed successfully please close Programs and Features.

6. Next, click on your Start menu again

7. This time, type Devices

8. Click Devices and Printers to launch the window.

9. In Devices and Printers look for your HP Officejet. If you see if please right-click on it and choose 'Remove' or 'Delete'

10. Once your HP Officejet is no longer showing in Devices and Printers please click on any device under the Printers list once just to highlight it. Click Print Server Properties at the top

11. Click on the Drivers tab

12. Look for your HP Officejet driver. If listed, please click on it and choose Remove

13. Select Remove Driver Only

14. Select OK

15. Click Apply and OK under the Print Server Properties window.

16. Close Devices and Printers.

Please proceed to the next step.

Step 2: Install Device:

Please click here to download the Full Feature Software and Driver download for your printer Once the download is complete please follow the onscreen prompts to install your printer

When using the USB connection, leave the cable disconnected until the installer prompts you to connect it.

Once the install is complete please test printing and scanning.

Source posted by my colleague X-23.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. Good Luck! 🙂

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation