Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJetPro 6978
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I changed three of the ink cartridges (black was okay and had been changed before) and now printer responses to print command and runs the paper thru but nothing prints on it.  I had been printing just before changing the cartridges with no problem.  The cartridges are HP ones from Office Depot.  I've tried re-inserting the cartridges, turning the printer off and running the HP doctor program with no success. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello, @JudH – Hope you are well 🙂

Allow me to welcome to HP Support Forums! It is a great platform to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others!

I understand you are facing issues while printing using your Officejet printer after changing the cartridges. To assist you with this issue, I need to know whether the printer can make a "Photocopy" or not.

Place a document face down on the scanner glass and press the copy option on the printer control panel. Let me know if it makes a good copy or not.

If copy also comes out blank, then try the steps listed below to clean the print head:

1. From the home screen on the printer control panel, swipe down to open the Dashboard, and then touch the Setup icon .

2. Swipe up on the display, and then touch Printer Maintenance.

3. Touch Clean Printhead, and then touch Continue.

4. f the printhead is badly clogged, it might require another cleaning cycle. If so, wait 30 minutes before you perform all three levels of cleaning again.

If the issue persists, then try the steps here: http://hp.care/2pZMtKr

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thanks DVortex.  I had tried using photocopy and it did not print then either.  Before I got your message I turned the printer completely off and left it that way for a few hours.  It was either that or throw it out the window.  When I turned the printer back on and gave it another try it worked perfectly.   The printer is only a few months old and I don't print that many things so I didn't think the printerheads should need cleaning but if it happens again I'll give that a try.  I guess the printer may have performed the cleaning when I turned it back on.  I didn't notice.  Right now I'm just happy it works.  Thanks for your help.  I'll save it for the future.

HP Recommended

@JudH,

You are welcome.

I am happy to know that the issue has resolved after powering off the printer for a few hours.

Let me jump in in place of my colleague as he is out of the office today.

This issue could occur if the printer was in error state.

In future, if you get this issue, you may try these steps listed below:

1.Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.
2.Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
3.With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
4.Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
5.Wait at least 60 seconds.
6.Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.
7.Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
8.Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on. The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.
9.Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.