Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Queeneth01 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Printer driver cannot install in a system upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10

HP Deskjet 9800
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After windows 7 was installed in my system and upgraded to windows 10, my printer 'HP Deskjet 9800' which normally installs its driver when plugged in, now did not install its driver and all efforts i made to look for its drive on line yeilded no positive result. I tried to look for solution through systems OS 'add a printer' option, but my printer was not listed. And i was asked to update windows for more list of HP printers, but that update was defective. Visiting hp.com I thought I will find solution but no driver can be found for my product rather I saw 'Installing your Printer Driver using windows Built-in solution' and I downloaded 'hp support solutions framework' but could not install it because of 'Error reading from file'. I also downloaded and installed 'hp print and scan doctor' that would tell me that my printer is not installed and refer my to the same hp.com my printer model page I have visited several times.

Please an urgent solution will be appreciated.

Thankyou.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Provost Provost
Provost
24344 24103 4358 9254
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

The steps listed under 'Installing your Printer Driver using windows Built-in solution' are the only steps to install the printer on Window 10:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01796879

By verifying, the printer model is listed without any need to run Windows Update.

Click Add Printer and then The printer that I want isn't listed.

Click a Manual setting (the last option)

Keep the selection on LPT1 and click Next.

Select HP from the manufactures list

Look for HP Deskjet 9800 or select any listed printer and type HP Deskjet 9800 to sroll directly to it:

1.JPG

I it is not listed, try running the Printer Troubleshooter below and check if that may help:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/bdff0c68-6204-6025-dcc1-3aefaa14ab40/fix-printer-...

If the same persists you may try downloaidng the drivers via Microsoft Update catalog:

https://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=Deskjet%209800

You may follow these steps to download and install drivers rom the Microsoft Update Catalog:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/323166

Regards,

Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos thumb up in the post.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution :)
0 Kudos
Queeneth01 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Problem not resolved.

In installation of printer using windows built-in solution, HP Deskjet 9800 printer is not listed.

The printer troubleshooter, in determining why printer is not listed said no physical printer is installed.

I then downloaded drivers via microsoft update catalog, but when I double click them, the .cab file opens as a folder. While I expect an executable file.

Also I can not make any head way following the steps listed in support.microsoft, they rather are too ambiguous.

Please help.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
24344 24103 4358 9254
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

The driversshould be included in Windows 10, it seems as your operating system may missing some driver files and therefore Microsoft Update Catalog would be the only option to gather the drivers.

Those are not executable, those must be extracted manually and added to your system.

You may contact Microsoft or a PC tech for help installing the drivers from the Catalog, the only process to automatically fix the drivers database on your operating system would be reinstalling the operating system, therefore I suppose going thorugh the steps would be way easier...

Generally, once extracting the CAB file you should click Add Printer and follow the steps.

Once the list appear click Have Disk and browse to the extracted folder to select the 9800 drivers, then it will be added to your system.

Regards,

Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos thumb up in the post.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution :)
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation