Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi @betty341

Welcome to the HP Support Forums. I understand that your printer is stuck in single cartridge mode. I would like to help.

Normally the printer will exit single cartridge mode when it detects the second ink cartridge.  It seams that the printer is currently not detecting both ink cartridges. 

Try this: 

Remove the ink cartridges from the printer. 

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
Wait at least 60 seconds.
Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.
Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

If you are still having a problem, try this document. HP Inkjet printers - Ink cartridge errors and HP OfficeJet Printers - 'Incompatible' or 'Defective Cartridge' message 

Let me know if those steps worked for you. If they did, that’s awesome! Give us some reinforcement by hitting the solution and kudos buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Aardvark1
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

unfortunately this did not solve the problem.  When I check ink levels, both cartridges indicate more than 1/2 full.  But the alignment page is incomplete - only shows blue, red and gray.  

HP Recommended

The "solution" was to remove the black cartridge which was more than half full and had been working prior to replacing the color cartridge and REPLACE it with a new cartridge.  Is there any way to recoup that cartridge that still has ink in it?  

I also have questions about how to recoup several cartridges which now say "incompatible" on them.  They worked on an Envy printer which uses the same cartridges as the Officejet.   There is a lot of money involved in these cartridges.    

HP Recommended

Ink does have its own limited warranty. HP Printers - Ink Cartridge and Printhead Limited Warranty

You will have to reach out to phone support to have this dealt with. This link will help initiate a case. www.hp.com/contacthp/

Aardvark1
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.