Jimpl Top Student
Top Student
9 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Printer page settings

HP envy 5540
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi, could anyone help me please, I have just bought a HP envy 5540, I wanted to print some photos so I clicked on 4" x6" and it came out on A4 paper, I checked in properties to make sure it was on 4" x6" which it was so I tried again but it still came out on A4, so I took out the A4 paper leaving just the 4" x 6" photo paper I tried again but it just came up with 'no paper' can anyone help me please. Jimpl

6 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
19326 1571 6243
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post

Printer page settings

@Jimpl

You did not say which program you are using to print the photos.

The trouble might be a missing Printing Preferences setting, say for the Tray or the Media type.

The following can help you with some simple methods to print your images / photos.

Print - Programs_and_Methods     

Sections, various, including:

• Photo Creations for Windows and Mac
  • Printing Photos with Windows Photo Viewer for Windows
  • Printing with Paint

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Click my Answer Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos
Jimpl Top Student
Top Student
9 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post

Printer page settings

hi dragon-fur, just checked and all seems to be there, the photos places that i tried from are both the "my photos and my documents" and on jpeg, i have just uninstalled my printer and the re- installed but the problem is still there, i just don`t understand why this is happening, my previous hp printer work fine on photos and documents, if you have any advice that would be great. jimpl

0 Kudos
Jimpl Top Student
Top Student
9 0 0
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post

Printer page settings

hi dragon-fur, just a bit more, i have tried hp support assistant and hp scan and print doctor but still no luck, hope you can help, kind regards jimpl 

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
19326 1571 6243
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post

Printer page settings

@Jimpl

Printer:

HP ENVY 5540 All-in-One Printer

I still do not have information on which program you are using to print.

Assuming you can print a Test Page and that the Full Feature Software is installed (and functional), I can offer the following:

Which program are you using to print?

Did you try using HP Photo Creations ?  The free version of the program is easy to use and eliminates the need to adjust each setting: Select the type of print > "add photo(s)" (browse and click) > print.  What are the results?

Is your photo paper actually "tabbed" 4X6 inch paper? 

"Tabbed" 4X6 inch paper is actually 6.5" in length.  Tabbed paper must be selected as "4X6 tab" when choosing paper size in the Printing Preferences.  (Wording may vary:  tab, tabbed)

Photo_Paper_4X6-tab.JPG

Is the paper loaded according to the instructions in the User Guide?

Chapter 2, Page 10

The message "no paper" when you remove the A4 paper might indicate that you have missed a setting.

You can double-check the setup:

From your Printer's How-to Section:

This document shows you how to use Windows Photo Viewer to print photos:

Printing Photos

Green_Line_1.jpg

Your New Printer comes with a year's Phone support (User Guide, Chapter 8, Page 90)

Contact HP Technical Support:

HP Contact Information – Sales, Technical Support, other Contacts -  USA / Canada

Contact HP – USA - Assistance

HP Tech support/ Customer Service  – Some English Speaking Countries

Including UK and Europe

From a post by @Sunshyn2005, to contact HP Support :

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter your computer's Product Number OR select Auto Detect
Step 3. Scroll down, find: "Still need help?  Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down, Click HP contact options > Click Get phone number

Case number and phone number appear on screen.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos
Jimpl Top Student
Top Student
9 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post

Printer page settings

Hi dragon-fur, I am a little confused as to what the programme that you ask is, what I have been doing is going on to a photo right click and select print the only thing I have noticed is that I cannot do is right click to enlarge the photo then print,  i did  click on to photo shop icon but it went on to the Internet net, I will try what you have suggested and let you know, I have noticed that I have 2 easy print set up but when I click on one or the other it wants to set everything up again, but I will try what you have suggested. Kind regards jimpl

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
19326 1571 6243
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post

Printer page settings

@Jimpl

If you have not done so, you do want to install the Full Feature Software for the printer.

Printer:

HP ENVY 5540 All-in-One Printer

Full Feature Software:

File name: EN5540_72.exe

Release details

Released: May 8, 2015

Version 36.0

Reference:

Install Full Feature Software – Printer

NOTE:  If the computer has been recently migrated to Windows 10 or if you need to re-install the printer software:

1. Create a Restore Point >
  2. Download a fresh copy of the Full Feature software >
  3. Remove any existing printer software from Programs and Features / Apps and Features / All Apps >
  4. Restart the computer and log in >
  5. Install Full Feature Software (find in your Downloads folder > Double-Click on the file) >
  6. Restart the computer and log in to finish the installation

Section(s) of interest include:

• Preparation
  • Extras and Optional > HP Information, Diagnostics, and Installation Help
  • Create a Restore Point
  • Remove Printer Software
  • Download and Installation

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Once installed, the Full Feature Software should give you the options available for your printer software.

From your printer's How-to Section:

Green_Line_1.jpg

Note:  "Right-Click and print" may not provide immediate access to all the settings.  Use Printing Preferences to change your settings.

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers > Right-Click on your Printer > Preferences

Reference:

Printing Preferences

Green_Line_1.jpg

If you first open the image / photo into a viewing (editing, print) program and then select print, the program in which you have opened the photo provides access to the printer's software (and printing options).

For example, you could download / install the free version of the aforementioned HP Photo Creations program.

Windows Photo Viewer is a simple photo viewer / printer program that comes with your Windows 8.1 Operating System.

Even Paint (original Paint, not "Fresh Paint") is a good standard option and provides several ways to set up and print your photos / images.  Paint comes with your Operating System.

Reference:

Print - Programs_and_Methods    

There are other programs -- both free and for purchase -- many of these provide access to the printer's photo printing options.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation