Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Office Jet 8500
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

After recently installing Office 2016 I can no longer adjust printer settings in Office 2016.  The printer settings box opens up and all of the drop down boxes are blank and the tabs only have symbols instead of english text.

I beleive its a printer driver issue, but I have the current driver for my printer.  I have uninstalled/reinstalled the printer program as well to no avial.

Anything help is appreciated.

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Greetings @Bison2

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that the print settings are not visible in Office 2016 after an update. 

Dont' worry, I will be glad to help. 

Kudos to you for reinstalling the printer software and trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own.

Are you able to use the print settings on other applications?

Found this Microsoft article with the procedure to repair Office if print settings are not visible. 

Please try the steps and let me know how it goes. 

If the issue persists, please create a new user account on the computer and check. 

Let me know how it goes. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Chimney,

I did the office update as suggested, but I am getting the same result.

Any other thoughts to resolve this?

Thank you!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and trying the suggested steps. 

Are you able to get the print settings on other applications?

Recommend you create a new user account on your computer. 

Alternately, try the procedure mentioned below and check. 

Please press Win + R on your keyboard to get the Run Dialog box. 

Type spool and press enter or click on the OK button. 

This will bring up the spool folder. Right on the 'PRINTERS' folder and select properties. 

On the printer properties popup, click on the Security tab. 

Provide Full Control to all the users listed there. Apply the changes. 

Now open devices and printers from the control panel. 

Right-click on your printer and select printer properties. 

On the printer properties popup, select the Security tab and provide full control/access.

Apply the changes and restart the computer and try to print. 

Keep me posted. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

Yes I am able to print from other applications and the printer properties section all appear correctly.

I wasen't certain what you meant by new user account, so I created a new user account for windows and office.  Unfortunately I received the same result.

I also performed the securities  "full access" as you described and I receive the same situation.  I can print, but non of the settings or drop down boxes appear in the printer properties.  The printer prints in full color and in "best" effect because I cannot change any of the settings.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

HP Recommended

Hi @Bison2,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I understand you have tried the steps suggested and still having the issue, don't worry I'll try my best to help you with this issue.

Let's try running MS-Office with Run as an Administrator and check if this helps.

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

I attempted to run as administrator and received the same result.  Attached is what the printer properties looks like.  Maybe this will assist.  Thanks for the tips so far!Screenshot (4).png

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, trying the suggested steps and providing the screen shot. 

The issue you are facing seems to be a driver issue or an issue with Office itself, to isolate the issue, recommend you uninstall the printer software following the procedure mentioned below.

Uninstall the printer from "programs and features" which can be accessed by doing a right-click on the Windows button (Please have the printer Off and disconnected during uninstallation.)

Check in device manager, if the printer is listed there, please delete it. (Right click on the Windows button to access device manager)

Go to devices and printers, select any printer listed there and you will get some options on the top. 

Click on print server properties. 

You will get a popup, click on the drivers tab and delete all the HP printer drivers listed there, if any.

Delete all the instances of your printer listed in devices and printers.

Restart the PC.

Once the PC is on the desktop, press Win + R, it would bring a Run dialog box, 

Type %temp% in the run box and click Ok or hit the Enter button.

It would bring up the temporary files folder. Delete the files in the folder (You might not be able to delete all the files).

If possible, delete the printer from the registries using Regedit or using any other 3rd party application.

Restart the PC again. 

Download the latest full feature driver from www.hp.com/drivers and install it on the computer.

Connect the printer to your computer only when the setup prompts for the printer. 

If the issue persists, please reinstall Office and check. 

Let me know how it goes. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.