Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Suddenly the printer prints in pink or purple, not black, white or color. There are no error messages, and nothing changed in the environment. I am guessing some kind of cartridge or hardware error, but would like to confirm. The absence of an error message on the printer seems telling.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Please read this post then provide some details.  What printer model? What operating system?  

Most likely you are printing with an inkjet printer and the yellow and cyan colors have run out and you are printing in a mode that would use color ink for printing black.  This would typically happen when printing on photo paper or printing graphics.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Sorry, the printer is HP Photosmart C4750 All-in-One Printer. The computer is running Windows 7...

It's possible the colors have run out, but wouldn't there be an error message? And (as far as I know) I'm printing in true black and white mode, so it should be using the black ink cartridge. It's just plain paper printing from a browser, mostly. But if you can point me to a way to test the settings, I would be very grateful!!!!

Thank you!

HP Recommended

The printer driver will typically render graphics (such as most stuff from a web page, even the text in some cases) in color for better quality.

See here for information on troubleshooting print quality issues.

In Windows 7 you can set the printer to "Black only" in the features tab of printing preferences.

ps c4700 black.png

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.