cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
BWS603
4 2 0 1
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Printer won't pick up paper

HP Recommended
Officejet 6500A Plus
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

The other day my printer stopped feeding paper. The rollers drop down onto the paper but the paper is not loaded.

Edit: After going through the steps of cleaning the rollers, etc. I have found out that the pick rollers do not turn when they drop to load the paper.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
DocCottle
Retired
Retired
5,028 4,829 404 709
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @BWS603,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I see that you are having issues with your Officejet 6500A Plus e-All-in-One Printer. I can help you with that.

To start, make sure the printer is plugged directly into a wall outlet and not a surge protector. Once done, this document outlines how to troubleshoot pick issues with your printer.

If after following the above the printer still will not pick paper, the printer needs to be replaced. You can contact HP Support by clicking on this link and filling out the form at the bottom to see what options are available.

Please let me know the results after following the above. If you are able to resolve your issue, please click on Accept Solution. If you appreciate my help, please click on the thumbs up icon. Both icons are below this post.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” below the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.

Please click the Thumbs up icon below to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
BWS603
Author
4 2 0 1
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I can't see how a surge protector could cause this issue. Do you have evidence that one could cause the pick rollers to not work? 

0 Kudos
DocCottle
Retired
Retired
5,028 4,829 404 709
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Having the printer plugged directly into a wall outlet can resolve a lot of odd issues.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” below the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.

Please click the Thumbs up icon below to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
scott216
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I

I've seen the correct answer elsewhere on this forum, but just not here.  It's the gear at the top of the two roller feeder that drops down when it's going to print.   That gear that drives the feeder rollers has slid away to the left on the splined shaft and has  disengaged from the other gear that drives those two feeder rollers or it's stripped and spinning freely arund the splined drive shaft. .  It's really hard to see, I use a small make-up mirror and small very bright flashlight to see underneath.   The only fix I've seen is to somehow get under that rooler mechaniism near it's top end (toward the right front of the printer,) put some super glue (this is the hard part) on the shaft at the point where the drive gear that's slipping will evenuually reside, and slide the gear along the shfat until engages it's roller gear and over the spot where you've put the super glue.  Let it dry and if you've got enough glue there, it shouldn't slip or slide to the left.  Right now I'm searching for a super glue in a squeeze bottle that's got a flexable snout to get up to the spline shaft to get enough glue up between the shaft and the gear.  HP doesn't have any answer to address this issue.  It's a case of a cheap plastic gear part that's stripped.  I'm also guessing there's no easy replacement available from HP.  They're not big on providing repari parts or serivce manuals.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation