Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8610
Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

I have a problem with the copies from the HP officejet pro 8610 printer. On the printed copy, eachline of text appears 3 or 4 times in a row, rather than jst once. I checked with HP support and went through all the troubleshooting steps. They suggested the problem was a fauly printhead. A replacement part costs $80-$90. Would it be better just to get a new printer (even though this one is only 2 years old) or try to buy a replacement part and see if that fixes the problem? Any experience with this problem from the HP community would be appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @drewru,

Good Day.  A warm welcome to the HP community. I reviewed the post regarding issues with copying on the printer. I will be delighted to assist you here.

Splendid description, brilliant troubleshooting and great observations made before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

To assist you accurately I would require more information regarding this.

• Did you try to make a couple of copies both from the flatbed and the document feeder of the printer?

For a start, please perform all the prescribed steps from this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-8610-e-all-in-one-printer-series/5367603/model... for copy quality issues and check if that fixes the issue.

If it does not, then you would be better off buying a new printer rather than investing on a print head if it costs you so much. Please contact HP technical support for further assistance to get the printer replaced.

• HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true
  • Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.
  • Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.
  • Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.
  • Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. If the unit is under warranty repair services is taken care of by the manufacturer’s warranty

You could also buy a new printer by visiting HP shopping via this link: http://store.hp.com Please select the country and you may get a contact number to call them. You could either call them or follow the on-screen instructions to order a new printer with a full year's warranty.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, please. Please note that I am not overloading you with a lot of troubleshooting steps.

Instead, just like you, I am eager to ensure that the problem gets resolved. So I am providing you with more resources and information at your disposal to deal with the situation better.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a superb week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried several of the steps that were offered in the links you suggested, however, nothing seems to correct the problem. The printer seems like it is working fine. I do not think the problem is with the paper size or the paper loading unit. The problem is something internal. And, as a result, one line of type comes out as 3-4 lines on the printed copy. 

It would be easier to get the printhead replacement part, which it sseems that I can install on my own. But perhaps it is best just to get a new printer, although, ethically, I have a real problem with having to replace the unit after just two years. The whole episode is very frustrating and says something about the mentality of technology and how it is so disposable after such a short run.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.