cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
castagjr
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 28
Flag Post

Printing envelopes on an Officejet Pro 8500

HP Recommended

Just bought an Officejet 8500 wireless and am a bit amazed at the hassle and lack of quality when printing envelopes.  Life was so simple on my HP d145 printer - just pop the envelope on top of the paper stack and at the rear right of the paper tray, use the Tools to Envelopes and Labels commands of Word, and presto, the job was perfect.  With the 8500, I seem to have to remove the paper and then put the envelope centered in the tray.  Then, I can use the Tools, etc., commands to print the envelope.  However, the left margin of the return address is about 5/8 inch, and there is no way to reduce it that I can find.  Also, the envelopes don't feed perfectly, so sometimes the printed lines are a bit angled.  Is there a better way to print envelopes?  Note:  My Word program is old (2002) but after installation it knows that I am using the 8500.  However, it tells me to put the envelope into the rear right corner of the paper tray, which does not work.  I changed the preference to a center feed, but actually it made no difference whether I did this or not; the printer will print to the center of the tray. 

0 Kudos
27 REPLIES 27
rmgga
2 1 0 1
Message 2 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Did you ever get an answer to your envelope printing problem?  I have just purchased an 8500A and am having the same problem with the top left margin.  I setup and printed envelopes on a T45 for 11 years without problem and cannot resolve this issue on the 8500A.  Sure hope you can help me.  Thank you.

Reesa
6 5 0 0
Message 3 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Help!

Why hasn't anyone responded to this question? I also just got an 8500a and find the envelope printing to be awful! You can't select a custom size, and the size choices other than standard are not many. Does HP monitor these forums?

0 Kudos
hedgehog
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How about a clear explanation of how to load and print envelopes?  Do I have to empty tray 1 completely just to run one  envelope? 

0 Kudos
Moose5068
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 5 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've had the same problem ever since I upgraded the firmware. My A909a printer now thinks it's an A909g printer, and I can no longer print custom size envelopes.

0 Kudos
Moose5068
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 6 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have always had to empty the paper tray just to print one envelope. I don't know of any other way.

0 Kudos
espriegel
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Where do you place a single envelop for printing?

0 Kudos
waltbee
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Having same problem with envelope 3 5/8 x 6.5. on 8500A Premium

HP Tech support aware of problem, but no solution other than "Use different size envelopes" e.g.: #10 !!!

0 Kudos
MiserableOldFrt
2 2 0 0
Message 9 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just printed my first envlope today on the OfficeJet 8500.  The left margin is indeed annoying on a baronial style envelope.  I like to personalize envelopes with graphcis and it doesn't look right.  Will try to set up a custom size paper maybe a little wider and see if I can trick the thing into doing a decent job.  The POS printer I just replaced, an Eps R220 Photo, couldn't print envelopes at all, and the idiot replies I got from their tech support were an atrocity.  I had no problems printing envelopes with my previous HP inkjets, so this is a bit of a surprise.  The extra margin, if it exists on that size, might be passable on a number 10 envelope, but cannot be made to look right on the kind of envelope one would use for a card.  grrrr.

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Jbarnes
3 3 0 0
Message 10 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have this exact same problem with my 8500 premium. Slightly angled printing and huge left margin that seems to be unadjustable other than tricking the printer with custum paper sizes. I have contacted HP and initially they tried to blame it on my software i.e. publisher and word. I purchased 2 of these machines for my business I am highly disappointed by this. 

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation