cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Shanegro
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Problem with HP 902 XL printer ink

HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I was advised to use the 902 XL black ink cartridge since I do a fair amount of printing. This cartridge and the last one I purchased and installed does not last longer than 50 pages of print before I receive a message that the ink supply is low. Note that I am not doing sophisticated printing at the moment--no graphics or such, just pages of notes. What is going on? Or is this a common problem. I was told that using the XL black cartridge was very economical since the regular sized cartridges run out. Consequently, I am paying more and getting even less. Any advice? 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Bob_Headrick
Level 16
Level 16
33,307 26,662 2,425 8,959
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The standard 902 black cartridge is rated at 300 pages vs. 825 pages for the 902XL.

There are a few things to check:

• Are you using HP cartridges or third party?  Reman/refill cartridges may not properly show the ink levels.
  • Is your printer always connected to a live outlet?  Using an outlet switch or other external switch to turn off the printer will cause more ink to be used at startup.  The printer should always be connected to a live outlet, and only the printer's power switch used to turn off the printer.  

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"

0 Kudos
Dixie247
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It is plugged into a wall socket, continually.  I use HP products, not substitutes. So both of those items do not cover it.

0 Kudos
AmanDUH
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I'm having the exact same issue & my printer is always connected to an outlet & online. I also usually print notes & such, nothing that should use that much in less time than the regular 902 cartridge would last me. Have you had any luck figuring out why this could be?
0 Kudos
Riddle_Decipher
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
31,166 31,117 2,612 3,966
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@AmanDUH

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand you have issues with printing using the HP 902XL cartridge,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

does it print in draft mode? as it would yield better results.

In the program, you are trying to print from, click File, and then click Print.
The Print window opens.
Open the Properties dialog box.
Depending on the software program, the button might be Properties, Options, Printer Setup, Printer, or Preferences to select draft mode.

Print Quality: If you are dissatisfied with the quality of your printouts, increase the print quality.
To print more quickly, decrease the print quality. These options typically include Best, Normal, and Draft modes. 

Let me know how that works out, keep me in the loop and Good luck! 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation