cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
DevonNYC
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 39
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Problems installing hp officejet pro 8600 software on win 7 ultimate

Hey Everybody, just bought this printer but Im having a hell of a time installing the software that came with it. Been reading all over the internet about tips to install but nothing helped. Even called HP and they connected me to India with someone for about an hour and a half, he remote desktop my computer but he couldnt even install the software. I finally was able to get the printer to install drivers but it was for a hp k8600 printer. I just cant scan tho. I dl updated software and drivers from hp but I cannot install it. The program always says " Install Failed The software required for your printer could not be installed" This is driving me crazy. What really pissed me off ,was when the HP rep from India couldnt figure it out, he said something is wrong with my computer and would I be interested in buying some more HP products, GTFOH, Im tryn to get this d**n  printer to work. LOL. If anybody could help me, it will be appreciated. I like the printer, just cant get the d**n software to install.

0 Kudos
38 REPLIES 38
axisa
Level 1
5 5 0 1
Message 2 of 39
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just bought this printer not more than an hour ago. I have hooked it up and started using it. Printer works as a printer but... I just tried scanning and it wont work. I too am using win7. It begins to work using various twain accessing programs, the bed makes some noise then it reports access lost. The same thing happens if I use the HP provided software. I am connected via wifi and USB.

The funny thing is, when I plugged in the printer the plug & play did not see it, I needed to load the cd (& all of the HP bloat software too). I began to think this was somehow related.

0 Kudos
axisa
Level 1
5 5 0 1
Message 3 of 39
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I think I may have a solution!

I was just told by someone who claims to know the problem is with some or 1 of the "bloat" programs you may have opted not to install from the release disk.

Apparently the program that is described to provide HP with info on how you use your device so they can better target upgrades, or something like that, the scanner driver is looking for this program to report it's usage. Not able to find it, it hangs and something times out while waiting.

I have not been able to test this yet as I am at work. I am anxious to go home and see if it works. Perhaps it can help you out (& you can let me know if this is a viable solution).

Good Luck!

John

0 Kudos
axisa
Level 1
5 5 0 1
Message 4 of 39
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Update:

I added the missing modules and it had no affect. I have been advised that I need to unload all of the software and reinstall the printer and software. This will be tonights project.

0 Kudos
DevonNYC
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 39
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the help and the update John. I actually tried to install the software with all the addons also and still the same thing, it just stops midway and gives the error screen. I like the printer but its a shame i cant utilize all of it. Im going to try and reinstall my win 7 to see if that will fix any type of errors if it does have. Ill let you know.
0 Kudos
ppg1503
3 3 0 0
Message 6 of 39
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am having the exact same problem. Any solutions?

0 Kudos
axisa
Level 1
5 5 0 1
Message 7 of 39
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I finally got it working! I hope this helps guys.

First off, I downloaded the HP scan diagnostic utility (think there's a problem if they have a special utility to check this?)

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02073861

After the utility told me what I already knew, the scanner isn't working, I used the utility to unload everything (then finished up using the control panel to remove any of the bloat left behind), rebooted then reinstalled. Same thing! Out of desperation I ran the utility that came with the printer to reconfigure the printer or install another one (sorry I don't recall thename of this program, if it's important to you I will find out when I get home, it's in the newly created HP folder in your "program files" directory). Once there, on a whim I tried one of the 3 options that said "change the printer to wireless". It instructed me to remove the USB cable, which I did, and after a few short screens EVERYTHING is working (of course I needed to get my printer on my wifi too). It is all wireless now. Apparently there is an issue with the USB drivers. I hope this helps. I may try tonight to add  the USB again (not replace the wireless). I'd like to be able to at least print on the wire and not burden my router when printing huge docs.

Anyway, I hope this helps. I hope you have a wireless option.

HP NEEDS to address this. It is awful that the thing wont work wired and worse that I had to kill a week of effort making this thing work (by the way, I have been involved in IT for over 35 years and run the IT department for a major wall street firm).

Otherwise it's a fine printer!

Level 13
Level 13
12,148 11,471 966 2,918
Message 8 of 39
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Click on the link below to download the Windows 7 Full Feature Software and Drivers for the HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Printer - N911g/N911h/N911n & N911a. If you still continue to experience issues with getting the printer installed please let me know.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-97846-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...=

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
ppg1503
3 3 0 0
Message 9 of 39
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This is the same program I have attempted to download multiple times. I continuously get the message The software could not be installed. Installation Error MSI 1603. Then I complete the HP installation failure download go thru all steps and continue to have the same problem.

0 Kudos
Level 13
Level 13
12,148 11,471 966 2,918
Message 10 of 39
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi ppg1503,

Follow the steps in the document, and let me know if you are still having an issue with getting the printer installed?

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02455020

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation