Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

How do I REMOVE the HP Digital Imaging Monitor from my Systray?

I'm using the HP Deskject D1600.

I only need my printer for very basic print jobs. I use my computer with Remote Desktop on a daily basis, and the HP Digital Imaging Monitor is really SLOWING things down for me. I've come close to uninstalling the printer and returning it to the store, but this seems like a radical answer. I've used HPs for years, but I find this sort of application INVASIVE and wrong. (I'm honestly shocked that HP wouldn't have some simple way to take it out of the systray, but I've not been able to find it.

For the record, I'm an IT Manager, and pretty comfortable around computers. I'm using WinXP as my OS on a Dell desktop with limited resources (I work for a non-profit festival with tight finances).

Thanks so much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I'd recommend uninstalling the software and downloading and installing the "Basic" driver from hp.com. I'm not familiar with your particular printer, but I did this with another printer on an older XP PC and it seemed to help the performance significantly.  There may be some features missing, but probably nothing you can't do some other way.

I am an HP employee.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

I'm not running XP but the simplest way to stop it loading to the sys tray would probably be to run msconfig from the "run" command and disable it in the start up tab.

Keith

HP Recommended

I'd recommend uninstalling the software and downloading and installing the "Basic" driver from hp.com. I'm not familiar with your particular printer, but I did this with another printer on an older XP PC and it seemed to help the performance significantly.  There may be some features missing, but probably nothing you can't do some other way.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thanks! Exactly what I'm looking for! For whatever reason, I never received word of this help, so just discovered it today!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info! Also, there seems to be a problem with DP Digital Imaging Monitor and McSvHost with the new release of McAfee 2010. If you lower the priority of McSvHost.exe to below normal it brings some relief (via Task Manager, right click on McSvHost).

HP Recommended

I unchecked digital imaging in the startup tray.  Now it says common start.   I do not have a printer.

Do I have to do anything else to make sure it does not intefere with my pc? I have xp

HP Recommended

I have just installed a HP photsmart B110a printer, runnning on XP SP3 and my performance has also deteriorated unacceptably. I notice that in the Startup the HP Digital Imaging Monitor is installed with a green check on it. Can I delete this from the Startup if I still want to use this printer? What is the solution?

Thanks

Richard

HP Recommended

Yes, it is safe to remove.

I believe it's usually found in the program group under Start / All Programs / Startup.

Just navigate there under the Start button, right-click on it and delete!

If it's not there, then remove it from the Registry:

Run regedit and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

and delete it in the list on the right pane.

If it's not there, then try HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

This is better than using msconfig and unchecking it.  In my opinion, msconfig should always be set to Normal Startup.

Your printer will still printer without that annoying obstructive utility called Digital Imaging Monitor.

Another notoriously problematic program is HP Toolbox!

Watch out for these. They'll turn Windows into Windoze.

As my colleague and I always tell people:  HP is a hardware company, not a software company 🙂

What happens sometimes is when you get Windows updates or some other software installed, that for one reason or another they end up conflicting with these HP softwares (printer utilities/monitors, etc).  Reinstalling, or especially updating, the HP software MAY fix the issues.  But just removing them, or stopping them from starting up/running, is always a quick and sure fix.  They have been known to cripple your Windows performance!  So put them at the top of your checklist when checking for system problems.  Especially old outdated HP software/drivers/utilities etc.

Ciao!

Casey Henderson, MCP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.