cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Sonic-Mustang
Level 2
18 14 0 9
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

ROLLBACK FIRMWARE WORKED FOR 1 WEEK, THEN FRIED AFTERMARKET CARTRIDGES

HP Recommended
HP8610
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Before the forced firmware download of Sept 13, my CIS system worked flawlessly for months. The forced firmware download  caused "damaged cartridge" errors and locked it out.  

After a bunch f negative customer feedback, HP promised and delivered ROLLBACK firmware.  I installed it and sure enough, my continous ink supply system was once again functioning - FOR A WHOLE WEEK.  Then, my HP threw a "INK SYSTEM FAILURE" error.  When I removed the CIS and reinstalled original cartridges, the printer worked fine.

I tried everything including a reset from the "secret" menu (press retyrn 4 times on printer screen) with no luck.  just wasted a bunch of ink every time I put the CIS back in and the printer cycled the cartridges back to "INK SYSTEM FAILURE."

Was mu CIS defective?  NO.  The rollback firmware fried the computer chips in the CIS cartridges.  Replacement chips from the CIS manufacturer got it working again.

Did HP build a Trojan bomb into the rollback firmware?   I am very suspicious.

1.  My CIS worked perfectly for a few days with the rollback firmware, then I got "INK SYSTM FAILURE" errors. What exactly inthe HP rollback firmware let the CIS operate, then killed it?

2. Replacing the computer chips on the CIS cartridges got it working.

3.  Why did HP bother developng rollback firmware instead of just providing the old, original, version of the firmware?

4.  Did HP software engineers build a time bomb into the rollback firmware to make aftermarket ink users believe their CIS and aftermarket cartridges failed when they really didn't?  Again, why write rollback firmware instead of just prviding the original unless you want to add some "extra" code to make t different from the original version?

5.  Isn't getting caught once enough for HP?

6.  Was Jon Flaxman's mea culpa and offer to make things right a load of cow dung?

The CIS manufacturer told me I was not the only customer who experienced this issue.

HP's behavior and treatment of its long term customers is horrendous.  (My first HP product wasan HP35 scientific calculator back in 1972 for $395.)

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation