Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I have an HP all in one 4500 series.  Was working fine.  Suddenly, it won't print wirelessly from the computer that is right beside it (Windows 10 dell laptop) but will print wirelessly from other devices in the house (ipad, macbook, iphone).  I can still print if it is connected by usb but not wirelessly.

All messages and troubleshooting (I have spent hours at this and am very annoyed now) say that everything is fine except that I am "offline" when I ask it to print.  When I install the driver/software again, it says everything is up to date.

Please help ..

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi @Marie29,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand your computer is showing printer is offline. Don't worry as I have a few steps to help you get through this concern,

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

What is the product number of this computer? (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...) http://hp.care/2bygf7l

Have you tried to perform a Hard reset on the printer and other devices?

Hard reset on the printer, router, computer and other devices on the same network.

The following steps temporarily disconnect network and Internet connections and require restarting your computer. Complete any tasks or downloads in progress before continuing.

1. Press the Power button on the printer to turn it off.

2. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

3. Disconnect the power cord from the wireless router.

4. Turn off the computer.

5. Wait for 30 seconds.

6. Reconnect the power cord to the wireless router.

7. Wait for 30 seconds, or until the router is fully on and ready

8. Turn the computer back on.

9. Wait for the computer to reload

10. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

11. Turn the printer back on.

Let’s try assigning a static IP to try and fix this issue. Follow the steps below:

• Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to get the IP address.
  • Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.
  • Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  • Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Once done, reinstall the printer drivers. Follow the steps below:

• Unplug the USB cable from the printer and computer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Envy printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now click on https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers (Please choose the OS) to download and install the updated printer drivers.
  • In the connection type window, select “Wireless” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

Let me know if those steps worked for you.  If they did, that’s awesome!  Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This did not work.  I have disconnected and restarted computer, router and printer several times.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the print driver. 

The 4500 Envy all-in one printer prints wirelessly from any devices except a Dell laptop that I have that is sitting right beside it.  I can only print with the usb printer cord attached to it.  Because it prints wirelessly from any other device (ipad, Samsung phone, iphone, mac laptop), it tells me that the wireless connection is good.  For some reason, it just isn't working wirelessly from this one laptop. It worked fine until very recently.

HP Recommended

Also, I would like to add that I went online and typed in my printer IP address and the correct information showed up.  It then said "print a test page" and when I clicked on that, it printed a test page WIRELESSLY from the computer that won't print other things wirelessly??

HP Recommended

Hi @Marie29,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I understand the computer is connected wirelessly but still having issues with printing, don't worry as I have a few other steps which should help you to resolve this issue,

Let's try to give permissions for printing on Windows:

Press the "Windows logo key" + "r" to get “Run" - Type "spool" and press OK.

Right-click on "PRINTERS" - Select "Properties" 

Select "Security" tab. You will find few entries like "Administrators" and "users", click on "Edit" and give "Full permission" to all the entries. Save/apply the settings.

Go to "Devices and printers", right-click on the new printer that you installed and select "Printer properties".

Select "Security" tab. You will find few entries like "Administrators" and "users", click on "Edit" and give "Full permission" to all the entries. Save/apply the settings.

Restart your computer and then try to print.

Next thing, I would suggest here is to open the Word program as an Administrator and then try to print and check if it works.

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried all the advice you gave and it still does not work. It says that I am connected to wireless printer but does not work from one device unless I have that device (a Dell laptop with Windows 10) connected by USB. I can print wirelessly from my Mac laptop, my samsung phone and my iPhone and iPad ... just not the Dell laptop.  I followed your directions and although it was slightly different, I gave everyone permission to print from my printer.  Still doesn't work.

HP Recommended

Hi @Marie29,

Thanks for the update,

I understand you have followed the steps suggested and still having wireless printing issue on your Dell laptop running Windows 10. Let's try to do a clean install and then check if this helps.

Let's try a clean install and try. Follow the steps below:

·         First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.

·         Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Officejet printer entries and uninstall them.

·         Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.

·         Restart your computer.

·         Click the bottom-left Start button on desktop, type device manager in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu.

·         Once in device manager, click on the view tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.

·         Then from the device manager list, check the entries under “Printer”  – If there are any entries, please right click and choose “uninstall” – In the confirm device un-install pop-up, make sure you select the box which says “Delete the driver software for this device".

·         Also, check the entries under "printer queue" and "imaging devices" and repeat the same exercise. Delete any printer entry or any entry which says “Unknown device”.

·         Once done, close device-manger. Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.

·         Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.

·         Again, go to run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

·         Once done you can try cleaning out your temporary files and cached files. You can try using automated applications like some cleaner software's that you can download from the internet.

·         Now restart your computer again.

·         Open the Run window again, type “services.msc” and press ok to get services window.

·         Scroll down to “Remote Procedure Call (RPC)” – right-click and go to properties. Make sure the service is started and startup type is “Automatic”.

·         Now scroll up and go to “Function Discovery Provider Host” – right-click and select properties – Change the startup type to “manual” and start the service.

·         Repeat the same exercise on “Function Discovery Resource Publication” as well.

·         Click on  http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL47762/mp-115701-6/EN4500_198.exe and install the software.

·         In the connection type window, select “Wireless” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

If you are still facing the issues to remove the driver, then try using a 3rd party software removal applications like "Revo uninstaller" or "Wise" to completely remove the programs.

Let me know how it goes for further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help.

Cheers!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Actually, now it won't print from my laptop using the USB connection anymore. It did before!  I am not very happy with HP.  It does not make sense why it has worked properly for the past few years and now it won't work anymore.

The only difference is I bought a new router.  It worked fine with the new router but then something happened now.

HP Recommended

Jeet, I am getting a little concerned that following instructions is causing me to lose more printing options not less.  I could print from usb before but now I can't.  is there a problem with having a new router?

HP Recommended

By the way, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software several times.  The troubleshooting says "your computer appears to be correctly configured but the device or resource (then lists an ip address) is not responding??

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.