cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Solved!

Re: Expiring Ink Cartridges

HP Recommended

Can a hp 88xl cyan office jet 7780 cartridge with exp date of March 2009 work in September of 2009?

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 16
Level 16
33,088 26,470 2,404 8,621
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Good2CU wrote:

Can a hp 88xl cyan office jet 7780 cartridge with exp date of March 2009 work in September of 2009?

This page indicates that the Officejet 7700 series ink expiration has an override so you can continue to use expired cartridges.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"

Highlighted
Author
3 1 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This may be a crazy ? but if it is a new cartridge does the same apply?  Not just when the exp. date is reached on an already installed cartridge.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
8 6 0 14
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

A solution for some HP printers.

I bought an HP 1100d Business Inkjet a month ago. Although this printer model is 7-8 years old, the one that I bought was still brand new in box. It had never been used! Needless to say the cartridges that came with it had an expiry date of 2006, so the printer gave me an expired cartridges error as soon as I tried to print the first test page.

I found that if I set my computer's clock back to a year prior to the cartridge expiry date the printer would print. But MORE IMPORTANTLY I found that after setting the clock back a few years, and doing a couple of prints, if I then reset the clock back to the real year (2009), the printer would CONTINUE to be able to print with the expired cartridges!

I have tried this solution on three computers at home, one with a direct USB connection, and a couple printing through my network, with an HP print-server connected to the 1100d printer.

For all three computers, they woould not print until I reset their clock back to about 2005, but the all continued to be able to print after I reset their clocks forward to 2009. I did this procedure a few weeks ago, the computers have been turned off and on many times since then and the printer has been turned on and off a few times. It continues to be able to print and my computers are all set to the correct year (2009).

You don't get excellence by pooling ignorance.
Believe nothing - Check everything.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 3 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I read that. The really big question is HOW does one override the expiration warning and contiinue to use the printer?

TIA

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 3 0 1
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just got off a 25 minute phone conversation with hp tech and I was told there is no such thing as overriding the ink expiration date. My complaint was with the ink and it's high cost.  This last install of all 5 inks was two months  ago on my hp photosmart c309a. I hardly use my computer and I did not use any color ink only the black about 6 times  and all levels of ink are reading low, need to replace.  So the tech tells me the problem is not the ink it is the ink pinheads problem that cannot be fixed but they can sell me a HP certified printer! ARRRRGGGGHHHH. I'M SO SICK AND TIRED OF BEING RIPPED OFF.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16
Level 16
33,088 26,470 2,404 8,621
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@JC-MC wrote:

I just got off a 25 minute phone conversation with hp tech and I was told there is no such thing as overriding the ink expiration date. My complaint was with the ink and it's high cost.  This last install of all 5 inks was two months  ago on my hp photosmart c309a. I hardly use my computer and I did not use any color ink only the black about 6 times  and all levels of ink are reading low, need to replace.  So the tech tells me the problem is not the ink it is the ink pinheads problem that cannot be fixed but they can sell me a HP certified printer! ARRRRGGGGHHHH. I'M SO SICK AND TIRED OF BEING RIPPED OFF.

There is no override of the ink expiration date on a c309a because there is no ink expiration on the c309a.  I cannot tell from what you posted what the issue is, but it is *not* related to the ink being expired.

Ink is used to keep the printheads from clogging.  There is some ink used when the printer is turned on, and before and after each print job.  If you turn off the printer from an external switch (such as a power strip) more ink will be used for servicing.  The document here discusses how ink is used (this applies to HP as well as other manufacturers).

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation