Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Like Karol22, is had a similar problem with an Officejet Pro 8610 printing okay from a deskside computer (Win 10) but not from an HP Pavilion laptop (also Win 10).  I followed your instructions (generally) and was finally successful:

1. I uninstalled the Officejet basic software (IRIS OCR and HP improvement programs remained in place).  HP Support Assistant was installed - it remained in place.

2. I removed all references to the 8610 in printers, queues, and HP Support Assistant.

3. I changed the system configuration settings under the services tab to enable a clean boot.

4.  After rebooting, I installed a new download of the OJ 8610 driver and software (OJ8610_198.exe).  This installation found the correct printer, with the correct printer name and installed.

5.  For the first time, I was able to "Print a Test Page".

6.  I reset the System Configuration to enable Microsoft Services again and rebooted.  I then reprinted a test page and general text document to prove the installation worked.

Thus, the installation was now successful.  It appears that the most important step was the disabling of Microsoft Services (something that most users wouldn't know or may not be able to do), in order to remove any confilicting drivers or software.    Your inclusion of "How to Perform a Clean Boot" and other references were keys to success here.

Fellow users:  if you have a recalcitrant Officejet Pro 8610, these are the steps to success:  (from  RnRMusicMan's post)

Follow his links if you need extra help.

RnrMusicMan, thank you for your knowledge.  It has been useful even 2 years downstream!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.