Note on archived topics.
05-16-2014 11:54 AM
I'm having the same problem with an HP officejet 6500. A couple of days ago it stopped printing black ink. The printer goes thru the motions, but nothing comes out on the paper. Treied a new cartridge, but that didn't help.
05-26-2014 03:17 AM
As you have an OJ 6500, if it's out of warranty one thing that might be worth a shot is soaking the printhead as described below.
Can I ask do you switch the printer off at the power button? If you just pull out the plug at the wall the printhead won't get capped properly which can cause it to dry out.
1) Get a pan and put 1/2" of very hot (not boiling) water in the bottom.
2) Next remove all the ink cartridges, then remove the printhead assembly.
3) Gently put the printhead nozzles down in the water and let it soak for five minutes.
4) Remove the printhead and gently dry the electrical contacts.
5) Put the printhead back in the printer and then reinstall the ink cartridges.
05-26-2014 06:18 AM
Tried this and other suggestions to no avail. Always turn off printer using button on printer, not at power strip. Finally broke down and ordered replacement printhead from HP, which I will try to install today. The fact that replacements are offered in a 1 to 1 swap leads me to believe that printhead problems are more prevalent than most people know.
05-26-2014 08:24 AM
Ok, thanks Jim, please let me know how you get on with the replacement. Note, it's not necessarily that the printhead has failed but one possibility is that the printer isn't capping it very well which can lead to it drying out.