Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

i have an HP6600 with the same problem.  When I contacted HP three things happened .....

i was told my printer was no longer supported by HP

HP scan and print doc shut down

I turned that thing on and off at least 20 times only to get the same message AND

I am about to do something I have never done before  - buy a printer that is not an HP unless someone can help me....and I have hads HP products since 1987.

BUT, sorry to be rambling on, I was printing 1) tax returns, and a five page document when this happened.....

BUT HP wants me to fill out a survey about my experience ....oh boy.....

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

We're sorry to hear of your issue.

Can you try cleaning the printhead?  On the front panel, go to Settings > Tools > Clean Printhead

After that, try to Align Printhead

If after doing these and you are seeing the error, the printer may have reached the end of the road.

As mentioned in the post

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/Printer-Failure/m-p/6076089#M619009

"IMHO, would be better off getting a new printer than to attempt to change the printhead (assuming that is the only error)."

We hope you consider HP for your printing needs.

Thanks and have a nice day!

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

Cleaning or aligning the Printhead is not an option as you cannot get the Printer Failure message off of the display to allow you to choose these menu commands (unless you can tell me how to remove this failure message).

i did find that the entire Printhead assembly is easily removed by lifting a gray, arrowed lever on the right side of the Printhead.   I wiped off some excess ink and replaced the Printhead only to receive the dreaded Printer Failure message again.  

Is there a part number for a new Printhead that you can share with me?  Thx.

HP Recommended

Hi @Bobby_J

We're not sure of the printhead partr number, sorry.

However, we did saw on eBay people selling printheads.

Do take note that the printheads ARE DIFFERENT for the 8600 and 8700 series!  There's a vendor claiming their printhead works for 8100/8600/8700 series.  Just a point to note in case anyone decides to buy and replace.

Again, we do not know if changing the printhead will resolve the issue since there could be other issues that arises after changing (the printer will only show the most prominent error)

You may want to contact HP for any queries, hope they will be able to help.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

Hope that helps!

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

Do you know of any way to clear the Printer Failure message when starting up the printer unit?  A way to Safe Start to get the Printer Failure message to disappear so I can get to the settings screen to clean the Printhead or do a hard reset?  Thx.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.