Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

As listed per previous message, I have the exact same issue. I checked the paper tray and there is no paper jam.

"When I power up my HP Officejet Pro 8610  - it goes through its start up cycle - once it finishes booting the LCD flashes a Blue Screen of Death with  B8931C7C for less than a second then the screen displays Printer Error "Please Turn Your Printer off, then on".

Power cycle more than ten to fifteen times. No luck. same error. Power light keeps blinking. Also, I can not shut off printer. As soon as I touch the power button, printer goes through power up sequence. It does complete the power up process and then the blue screen, error code flash and then kiss of death - printer error.

Looks like I have to trash this printer.  Very disappointing. Less than few years old.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi @oneworld_2000,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand that your HP Officejet Pro 8610 Printer is stuck in an error state. Don't worry as I have a few steps to help you get through this concern,

Let's start by performing a Hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

Remove all the ink cartridges and then try to perform a hard reset on the printer.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Now insert the ink cartridges and then try to print a test page and check if it works.

The error you're receiving is usually related to a general printer error, sometimes resulting in a hardware issue. I would suggest you take a flashlight and check for any obstructions inside the printer.

Use this guide to check for obstructions:

I would start by checking the installed printer software by downloading and running the HP Print and Scan Doctor. This tool can diagnose and fix many printing and printer software related issues. Please use this link to help you with that information: http://hp.care/2biN2XE 

If your printer connected wirelessly, make sure to temporary connect the device with USB and then follow the link to check for the latest firmware update if available for your printer, using this website

For more details, please follow this link.

If the issue persists, then you can try to perform a semi-full reset on the printer. I am sending you a private message with the steps to reset the printer. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Let me know if that helps. Thank you!

Cheers 

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

However the problem is not solved. Why is this solution not listed on HP support / help page (about Semi-Full Reset)?

After going through Semi-Full reset, the printer powered up to the right state. As soon as I enter wifi password, the printer goes back to the same error.

I can reset the printer and it does come up but the wifi light keep blinking and I can not set up wifi on this printer. I tried setting up wifi five times with the same result (very frustrating).

I was able to print using USB cable. So the printer is working (sort off)!

I also am a Mac user and I think Apple definitely makes a very high quality product. HP has a long way to go.

HP Recommended

Hi @oneworld_2000,

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As the printer is printing using the USB cable, I would suggest you could try performing a Hard reset on the printer and try making a copy from the printer and check if this works.

Next thing, I would suggest here is to do a clean uninstallation and reinstall the printer drivers:

Let's try these steps here:

Now let's try to perform resetting printing system on Mac:

• Connect the USB cable from the printer to the MAC. Make sure the printer is turned on.
  • Click the Apple menu icon, and then click “System Preferences”.
  • Click “Printers and Scanner” / “Print and Scan” or “Print and Fax”.
  • Right-click the blank space in the Printers list, and then click “Reset printing system”.
  • Click “Reset” in the confirmation window.
  • Enter an administrator username and password, and then click “OK”.
  • Wait until the printing system is reset and no devices show in the Printers list
  • Restart your computer and then go back to System preferences – Printers and scanners.
  • Click the “Add button” (+).
  • Find, and then select the name of your printer from the printer list, and then click “Add” to add your printer.
  • Click “Print Using...”, and then select the name of your printer (By default “Airprint” would be selected)

Next thing, I would suggest here is to uninstall the printer driver and then install the full feature software.

1. Disconnect the printer USB cable from the Mac.
  2. On the desktop, double-click Macintosh HD, click Applications, then click the Hewlett-Packard or HP folder.
  3. Double-click HP Uninstaller, then follow the on-screen instructions to remove the HP software from the computer.

After completing the uninstall, click the Trash icon on the Dock, then click the Empty button.

If HP Uninstaller is not in the applications list, continue to the next step.

4. In Macintosh HD, double-click the Library folder, then double-click the Printers folder.

5. Right-click (or Ctrl + click) the HP folder, and then select Move to Trash.

6. Double-click the PPDs folder, double-click the Contents folder, then double-click the Resources folder.

7. Right-click (or Ctrl + click) your printer in the list, then select Move to Trash.

8. Click the Trash icon on the Dock, then click the Empty button.

9. Click the Apple menu, then click System Preferences.

10. Depending on your version of OS X, click Print & FaxPrint & Scan, or Printers & Scanners.

11. In the Printers list, click your printer, then click the Minus button (-) to delete the printer. Once done Restart the PC.

Once the PC is loaded reinstall the printer driver and software, using this link: Click here

Alternatively, you use Scan with HP Easy Scan app for Mac OS, using this link: http://hp.care/2d4H9Ez

For more details, click here

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Mr. Jeet Singh,

Thanks for the reply and suggestion.

The problem is not solved. Printer is working with USB cable but I can not get the wireless to work.

Your suggestion for the printer driver on Mac has nothing to do with the printer in the wireless mode (I think).

I use Mac and PC for printering via wireless set up. It used to work fine.

As soon as I set up the printer for wireless setting I get the same message as before.

As soon as the password is entered for wireless setup, blue Screen of Death with  B8931C7C for less than a second then the screen displays Printer Error "Please Turn Your Printer off, then on.

Looks like I need to focus on printer and not on Mac or PC for the solution i.e driver on Mac and PC may not be an issue.

Very disappointing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

HP Recommended

correction -

With blue screen, the error code is B83D1E82. "Please turn Printer off, then on."

The error code is different.

Thanks,

HP Recommended

Updated HP 8610 printer with latest firmware Version 1733A - release date Sept 19, 2017.

The problem is not solved. The same error message after setting up wireless network.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have spent / wasted too much time so far.

This will determine if I buy HP product in future (laptop or printer).

HP Recommended

Hi @oneworld_2000,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I understand you have tried the steps suggested and still having the issue. This definitely looks like a hardware failure, however before you come to any conclusion, I would suggest here is to Contact our HP phone support so that they can check the settings and do the needful. 

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have spent (wasted) more than four hours with different technical rep. today. As soon as the wireless set up is completed, the printer shows the error code.

With blue screen, the error code is B83D1E82. "Please turn Printer off, then on."

Blue light stays blinking and never gets solid.

I must have tried to set up more than 20 times.

How do I know if there is hardware failure and I can not fix this?

very disappointed (non customer!!!)

Is there any hardware diag. that can tell me that the printer is no good. I can use it via USB cable. It works using USB cable.

I updated driver on printer and on my laptop.

HP Recommended

Hi @oneworld_2000,

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options if any.

You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding Holidays & Weekends).

Response times may vary by region.

Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.