cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
simpli_fi
Level 1
5 4 1 1
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Router sees Officejet 6700, Win7 computer sees router, computer doesn't see printer

HP Officejet 6700 all-in-one printer sees Motorola Netopia DSL router model 2247-N8 (and vice versa). (The printer picks up a valid IP address via DHCP on the proper wireless network and the router is able to ping the printer and sees the printer as a device on the wireless LAN.) The year old Dell Studio XPS 9100 computer running Windows 7 Home Premium sees the router and is able to surf the web. The computer is unable to see the printer, either through pinging or through the HP Print and Scan Doctor software. I don't know to where I should turn at this point. Direction and/or help, please? Thank you.

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Level 8
Level 8
843 768 57 341
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Router sees Officejet 6700, Win7 computer sees router, computer doesn't see printer

Hi,

Let us know  details of the IP address of Computer and Printer. May be it caused by the subnet.

The workaround is, connect the printer directly to router via network cable and install the hp software.

Thanks

Prabahar

Click on the "Thumbs up"button on the bottom to say "Thanks"

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)

0 Kudos
simpli_fi
Level 1
5 4 1 1
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Networking information:

DSL modem/router/wireless access point works well enough for the computer I'm discussing in this topic (which is also the computer on which I'm currently typing this post) to get out on the internet and to this HP web forum.

Router LAN IP address:             192.168.1.254

Router LAN subnet mask:         255.255.255.0

Router DHCP start address:    192.168.1.64

Router DHCP end address:     192.168.1.253

While I can see in the router's help where configuration of the router's WAN preferred DNS servers should be, there does not appear to be any place to change the router's WAN setting for preferred DNS servers when the DSL gateway is set to the configuration necessary for this telco. I do get this information, though...

Primary DNS Server:                  205.171.3.25                resolver.qwest.net

Secondary DNS Server:             205.171.2.25                resolver.qwest.net

Printer generally has networking information assigned by router's DHCP server. When this is the case,

Printer IP address:                     192.168.1.133

Printer subnet mask:                 255.255.255.0

Printer default gateway:            192.168.1.254

Printer preferred DNS server:  192.168.1.254

I have tried setting static IP information in the printer. When I have done so,

Printer IP address:                     192.168.1.33

Printer subnet mask:                 255.255.255.0

Printer default gateway:            192.168.1.254

Printer preferred DNS server:  192.168.1.254

The computer is connected to the router via a wireless networking adapter and picks up its networking info via DHCP. The computer and the printer are both on the same SSID of the router.

Computer IP address:               192.168.1.33

Computer subnet mask:           255.255.255.0

Computer default gateway:       192.168.1.254

One thing that I find mildly troubling is, from ipconfig, I get

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : domain_not_set.invalid

... but I don't know that this is relevant and, as I previously mentioned, the computer surfs the internet fine.

End of networking information

The computer also runs free COMODO Firewall and Avira Free Antivirus, but in the course of testing for this problem, I have disconnected the phone line from the DSL gateway (thus disconnnecting the internet while leaving the LAN intact) and turned off both firewall and antivirus software. In this condition I was still unable to see the printer from the computer other than by logging into the router, where I could see the printer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
simpli_fi
Level 1
5 4 1 1
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Oh, geez, never mind, I feel about this tall *holds thumb and forefinger about a half inch apart*

Anyone else with this problem, please be sure that in your router settings, under wireless security, that you are not blocking wireless bridging. I had thought (yeah, right!) that this referred just to enabling/disabling wireless bridges for extended range, but with this router at least, it blocks any traffic between wireless clients. In this case, it was blocking traffic between the computer wireless client and the printer wireless client.

Purrrfect
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I think I am having the same problem.  The printer is on the internet, but the computer (Windows 7) cannot print wirelessly to the printer.  I am not sure what the bridging is all about.  Any suggestions?  (Router is Cisco)

0 Kudos
Level 11
7,948 7,850 685 1,166
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Are you using the Officejet 6700 as well, or are you using a different printer. What is the model number of your router? What is the firmware version installed on your router?
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
0 Kudos
Purrrfect
2 2 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I am using a Lexmark 6675 of which I plan to retire when I get the new HP 6700 working.  The router is a Cisco, Model # WRVS4400N V2.  I am not sure how to find out the firmware version installed on my router.  

0 Kudos
Level 11
7,948 7,850 685 1,166
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

The Lexmark printer's driver might be causing the problem with the Officejet 6700. Lexmark drivers can cause a dependency in the print spooler which will cause the computer to be unable to see any other printer. I would start by uninstalling the Lexmark and restarting the computer. Once you have that done, make sure to install the printer using the latest driver and software from HP's web site. I'll link them below. Let me know what happens. HP Officejet Full Feature Software and Driver
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
0 Kudos
pastor67doc
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

i would like to connect my printer to my computer my computer is ahp p2-1310, my printer is hp officejet 6700

0 Kudos
Level 9
3,397 3,340 104 616
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

@pastor76doc - how do you want to connect the printer to the computer (with a USB cord, via wireless, or with an ethernet cable)?  I understand you have a p2-1310 but do you know the operating system of the computer (ex. Windows 7 64 bit or Windows 8 64 bit)?  Do you have the software disc that came with the printer?  You may benefit from using the Printer Install Wizard.  Here are the instructions on how to use that download as well.  Let me know if you have any more questions.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation