cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
robcentpa
Level 1
6 5 0 1
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Saving Black Scans on a D110a

Just as many here, with Mavericks, I can scan using the HP software just fine and see the scan perfectly.  However, when I try to save the scan, it is saved as a black page with horizontal white lines.  All of the various posts regarding this problem are actually very old.

I am dismayed why HP has not developed a fix to their software to remedy the problem.  This issue is many months old and nothing has been said or done to indicate that they even care about the software problem.

I do have to say that the work around posted by an HP employee using the Apple Prtinter/Scan Preference option did work for me only after I played with the setting for a long time to get it to do what I wanted it to do.  So, I thank her for that.  It solves an immediate need.

But, I purchased the HP all in one and really want the HP software to be useable as it is supposed to be.  So I think that there needs to be a fix developed and done so really fast......not that I am demanding that it be done now.....but looking at the problem existing for what 8 or more months and no fix developed!!!

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Level 5 FretnBoutNutn
Level 5
150 147 11 56
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi robcentpa,

The majority of the scan issues observed with early releases of Mavericks have now been addressed in subsequent OS updates from Apple.  Please ensure that you have obtained the latest OS updates as well as the latest software for your product from the support.hp.com website.

To our knowledge, most of the remaining scan issues on Mavericks can be avoided if scan resolution is kept below 600 ppi.

If you find you are still experiencing issues, you can try using Apple's Image Capture or Preview application. 

FretnBoutNutn
I work for HP.

- Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
- Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

0 Kudos
robcentpa
Level 1
6 5 0 1
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks for the information. I had hoped that I had missed a software update (I've been away from home.) indeed I had. I updated the Apple software today. Checked HP and there is no software update except for an old firmware update that I already have. Happily, I scanned a document........only to find that the problem has not been resolved at all. The saved scan, that appears correctly when scanned, opens as a black image with numerous horizontal white lines across it. I know about the work-around using the apple preferences menu.....but, I am still unhappy that Apple Mavericks and HP have not been proactive in fixing the problem so that the software for the printer works properly.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 5 FretnBoutNutn
Level 5
150 147 11 56
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Okay, I had a chance to dig into this a bit further.  Please don't shoot the messenger here, but what I found is that officially the level of support provided for your product on Mavericks is limited to the print/scan drivers that can be obtained via Apple Software Update.  The last official "full" solution software release for the D110a was provided for Mountain Lion.  This is why there is a document provided on the D110a product page on hp.com that describes how to obtain the drivers from Apple.

For scanning this implies that Image Capture is the recommended scanning application, and that the latest version of HP Scan that you can obtain from your product's download page is rather old (and therefore more prone to incompatibilities with new OS technologies such as Mavericks).

If you are not satisfied by the scanning functionality provided by Image Capture (or Preview, or Printer & Scanners preference page) then one unsupported option you might consider is to download and install the software for a newer HP All-in-One product such as the Officejet 4630.  Make sure that you select "HP Scan" in the Installable Options screen.  At the point in the install/setup flow where you are asked to select your 4630 printer to continue with setup, you can quit the installer since we're just looking to get the newer software installed which has already occurred at this point.  Your mileage may vary, but hopefully you can restore your ability to scan with this newer software.

FretnBoutNutn
I work for HP.

- Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
- Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

0 Kudos
robcentpa
Level 1
6 5 0 1
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks.  Your suggested solution to the problem worked just fine.  The document scanned saved perfectly.  There was not an option for scanning a Photo...but I will cross that bridge later.  In the installation process, there is an "essential software" option that is unable to be disabled.  It turns out that it is a Utilities file.  Have not yet explored it.  But I did only check the HP Scan software and all worked as you suggested.  Thank you.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation