cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
char33 Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Scan C3180 all in one photosmart

Have a photosmart C 3180 all in one  the scan does not work, tried to reinstall w/disk after uninstall, copy/print/memory card features wor k

checked all cords/troubleshoot,still no scan

looked at set up in "my computer" checked out the operating properties,etc and I found that on the scan properties feature in the general tab it has as the port it's in \\.\Usbscan0 at 2400x2400 dpi... under the Events Tab it has the following

1. start program 

2.prompt which program to start

3.Take no action  the first two boxes and text are not bold ( light) this third box has a dot in the box and the text is bold (dark)

under Actions 

it has      No Application taken    and the next line says     Not registered for this event

So my question is how can I get the TAKE NO ACTION box cleared and the dot put back in the START PROGRAM box so the scanner works?       It will work if I go to the Wizard in the control panel but that's a pain, it should start when I want to scan like it used to PLEASE HELP,THANKS

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
taslia Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have had the same problem with my set up but only in the last month.  Prior to that worked fine.  Not sure what I changed, but now printer and other functions work but scan function doesn't.  Computer doesn't recognize the scanner.  Device Manager shows not working under Imaging Devices, although shows it there.  I have been on with HP support all day and have uninstalled and reinstalled all software three times.  Have disabled the USB composite device (which causes major errrors on my XP machine causing many reboots), and even upgraded the BIOS.  Nothing works.  I have no idea what the problem is.  HP -- help?
0 Kudos
BunsterFreely Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Has anyone found a solution to this.  I have been in deep do do as a result of this scanner failure.  I have depended on it for OCR and PDF scans as well as regular picture scans.  HP is really letting us down by not helping us resolve this more quickly. 
0 Kudos
BunsterFreely Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'd like to point out also, that I downloaded an HP C3180 All-In-One suite of software that was supposed to be the cure all (CDA_ExpressOnly_NonNetwork_AmericasEuro1).  Didn't work at all.  Worthless! 

I promise you, if I'm forced to get a new scanner, it will NOT be an HP.  I'm looking at an Epson.  If I give away my HP, it will be worthless to anyone who gets it.

0 Kudos
mrgizmo Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same problem, the printer works but the scanner does not.  This all started about three weeks ago.  I have tried un-installing the whole Hp suite and downloading and installing from the Hp website.  This has been tried two times now and no change.  Went on line with the Hp live chat tech help person...was a complete waste of 45 minutes.  There is the possiblity that the problem is with Vista since I have recently downloaded the 'updates'.  But I understand people running XP are having problems too.  I need to use this (or A ) scanner real soon, don't have a lot of time to experiment with a device that worked fine for over two years connected to the same laptop and now won't scan. What has changed?  Anyone have any new solutions?
0 Kudos
Teacher Teacher
Teacher
282 281 4 22
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

mrgizmo,

I have a couple of questions. Since you are running Vista can you verify if scan is working with either MS-Paint or MS Scan & Fax application.  Also are there any errors that are being generated by the software along with a cryptic error code (looks something like-8,6,38, -2820899).

I work for HP, but these words are mine alone.
0 Kudos
mrgizmo Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I tried scanning with the paint program and it works.  It also scans with Windows Photo Gallery.  It now also scans with Hp Photosmart Essential.....Get Images, Select Scanner and then scan.  It will not scan with the full Hp Photosmart suite as before.  At least it scans!

Is it possible a program like AVG or other malware sniffing program is causing the failure to scan? There are no error codes just a box that says an unexpected error has occurred andthere are three choices that all say to restart the program.....non of the options work.

Thanks,

mrgizmo

0 Kudos
austin5 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I appear to be having the same issue, the scanner isn't recognized by HP Solution Center, but can be found through the Control Panel.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the latest software and drivers.  What is the next step?
0 Kudos
annettesuh Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm having a problem where the scanner won't work, i've reinstalled the software twice, and all patches on the website.  The settings won't let me select a destination to scan to.  And when I go online to chat with HP, I get the following:

We're sorry, but an unexpected error has occurred.
The error has been logged and will be examined for further review.
2009-11-16 23:22:07Z Error on 15.201.8.161: Unhandled exception caught: Error Message: Input string was not in a correct format.
Error Occurred On: /ChatEntry/Chat.aspx
ExceptionType: System.FormatException
Stack Trace:
at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)
at System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
at System.Convert.ToInt32(String value)
at ChatEntry.Chat.IsIE8Browser() in C:\ASTRO\Chat\Integration\inetpub\wwwroot\ChatEntry\Chat.aspx.vb:line 333
at ChatEntry.Chat.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\ASTRO\Chat\Integration\inetpub\wwwroot\ChatEntry\Chat.aspx.vb:line 164
at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

It's really annoying me because I've used the printer/scanner with this computer before.  It's vista home premium O/S.  Did anyone resolve this ever?

Annette

Message Edited by annettesuh on 11-16-2009 03:23 PM
Message Edited by annettesuh on 11-16-2009 03:23 PM
0 Kudos
berry606 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same problem as everyone else. I use a Mac and for the first time I wanted to try scanning something today. When I opened up Hp Scanner, it said that I wasn't connected to a scanner even though my usb cord was in (I tried plugging and replugging several times) The thing is I have another problem too.

When I first set up the software the problem was with the setup assistant. The setup assistant prompted me to select my printer from a drop down menu except it was empty. I plugged the usb cord in, no change. I suppose this might be because my I got errors for the hp trap something saying that it shut down unexpectedly. I tried rebooting it as well as putting it under applications that open as soon as you log in but nothing worked. This didn't really affect me since I only printed in the past but I really want to scan something and this is getting on my nerves. Somehow I think that my printer recognizes my laptop because my laptop can transfer data to the printer and print something but my laptop does not recognize my printer therefore the scanning data will never reach my laptop... 

If anyone has a soulution please tell me.

0 Kudos
Tags (1)

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation