cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Danvina Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Scan function dosen't work in HP Solution Center

Hp OfficeJet J5780 All In One

Laptop MSI running:

Vista Home Premium [Service Pack 2] 32 bits

3 GB RAM

HP software was uninstalled and re-installed. Never worked again!!!

When trying to scan from the HP Solution Center, get the following error:

"An error occurred communicating with the scanning device. Please ensure that the scanning device is connected properly

and try again"

It is nothing wrong with the scanner or the connection. Was connected to another laptop [but this one running XP] and the Solution Center did not have any problems.

I downloaded the HP Scan Diagnostic Tool and used it. At the Solution Center step it instructed me to download and install

patch  "scanjet_vista_tablet_patch" which I did.  The main problem is at next step in HP TWAIN SCAN. It shows an error:

"Scanner is not responding.Restart both computer and device" 

I will not help. I end up again at the same situation.

When running the Diagnostic Tool again it the give the following error:  "A Necessary software program is missing or corrupt. Please reinstall the software or scan your hard disk for problems" 

I ran the checkdisk windows utility and showed no problems. I reinstall the HP software [several times now} and it will not work. Let me add that the original disk is not available, but I downloaded the software from the HP site. The full version for Windows Vista [ HP Officejet Full Feature Software and Driver ]

Any help will be appreciated.

Dan

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Teacher Teacher
Teacher
119 119 3 13
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi danvina,

Please follow the below mentioned link and try scanning again.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00040499

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button if this answers your question. Also, you may select the "Kudos" button to give a quick thanks.Your valuable feedback helps us to provide better answers faster.

Regards,

Ronnie_N

Distinguised Professor
0 Kudos
Danvina Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Ronnie!

Thanks for your reply.

I had done some of the steps indicated on the site you sent me. Anyway, I try them all and in the order they are there. I am still have the same problem!

I used CCleaner to try to correct the problems on the registry. It did not help.

What should I try now?

Thanks,  

Dan

0 Kudos
Teacher Teacher
Teacher
119 119 3 13
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Dan,

There are 2 possible solutions for the issue.

Solution 1:

Step1: click on Start--> Run-->services.msc.Make sure that the HP Cue Devcie Discovery,WindowsInstaller,Plug and Play,PmlDriverHPZ12,Windows Firewall and Windows Image Acquisition services are Started and Automatic.In order to make them started,right click on each service and go to Properties.Under General Tab,select the StartUP Type as Automatic.

Step 2:Uninstall the software completely and resinstall it.Uninstall is 2 types.Normal and Registry level clean up.

First do a normal uninstallation of going to control panel and then removin gthe software or you can also try to uninstall it from the cd/downloaded version

In order to remove the registry entries,

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Click on Windows/Start icon and in the search box,type in regedit and the registry editor opens.

2. Export the registry and save it on your desktop.This step has to be performed before performing any changes to the registry.Click on File-->Export and give the location to save as Desktop and mention a file name in the window.

3. Click on File and go to HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers.If you find any entries of the printers,right click and delete the printers.

4. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers and you will find folders as Connections,Defaults,DevModePerUSer,DevMOdes2,Settings.Once you click on each of the folder,on the right hand side,you will notice the printer entries.Right click on the printer and click on delete.You have to do this for all the folders present in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers.

5. Go to HKEY_USERS and in that you have subfolders as .DEFAULT  and S-1-5-  .Click on each of the folders and on the right hand side if you find the printer entries,please right click and click on delete.There will only be 1 printer entry in these subfolders.So if you have found the printer entry in the first folder,then dont look for other folders

6.Restart the computer so that the changes get reflected.

7.Download the software and install it again.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If Solution 1 does not resolve the issue,then there is another option which is Driver/Software Over write.

Step 1: Uninstall the software again.Download the HP Officejet J6480 software.Reason for advising J6480 software is the Solution center software is higher version which is Cue 10 which has major software changes and that of J5780 is Cue 8.

Step 2: First install the drivers for J5780.During installation select Custom/Advanced Installation and under the list of available options select the HP OJ J5780 drivers and uncheck all other softwares.Continue the installation.If would prompt you to connect teh USB cable.Connect it and the installation will be completed.

Step 3: Now start the installation of J6480.Select the Custom/Advanced installation.Now uncheck all the softwares except Solution Center.Continue to install the Solution center.Once it is installed,install the remaining softwares one after the other using the J6480 software.

NOTE: To simplify the solution what you are doing and not to get you confused,You are installing the drivers for J5780 but the solution center will be of J6480.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button if this answers your question. Also, you may select the "Kudos" button to give a quick thanks.Your valuable feedback helps us to provide better answers faster.

Regards,

Ronnie_N

Distinguised Professor
0 Kudos
randeep Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Admin

I downloaded the the printer driver ( i have a F 2120 All in one) printer from their official website and its giving me an error which says," The HP imaging device was not found. Try the folllwoing steps. After each step, try scanning again." And it gives me 5-7 options. Ive tried to upgrade my windows it still didnt work. Can someone help me please.

Thanks

My email id:- {Personal Information Removed}

0 Kudos
Teacher Teacher
Teacher
119 119 3 13
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@randeep wrote:

Hi Admin

I downloaded the the printer driver ( i have a F 2120 All in one) printer from their official website and its giving me an error which says," The HP imaging device was not found. Try the folllwoing steps. After each step, try scanning again." And it gives me 5-7 options. Ive tried to upgrade my windows it still didnt work. Can someone help me please.

Thanks

My email id:- {Personal Information Removed}

Hi Randeep,

Get back to me with the OS (ex:Win 7 64 bit) on your computer if u have connected the printer with a USB cable to the computer,what is the length of the USB cable?

Regards,

Ronnie_N

Distinguised Professor
0 Kudos
randeep Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Ronnie

Thanks for the reply. My Windows  is:-  Win XP Professional 2002, Service pack 3, the usb cable attached is :- 1.5 metre long.

Thanks 

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation