Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 8 (960 Views)

Scan to Computer not working on an 8600

I have an HP 8600 Plus connected via Ethernet to a Mac Pro running Mountain Lion. I have installed HP's recommended software and the latest HP printer software for Apple's Software Update. I have enabled Scan to Computer from HP Utility.

Here's the problem: When I select Scan to Computer from the LCD screen on the 8600, I see the name of my computer listed. I select it and then see an option to Start Scan. I press this but NOTHING happens. No scan, no error message, no sound, nothing.

Oddly, if I run OS X's Image Capture from my Mac, I can scan to the computer successfully.

Any idea what's going on?

0 Kudos
Teacher
Message 2 of 8 (922 Views)

Re: Scan to Computer not working on an 8600

Do you have the software running when you perform the scan?  According to the manual you need to.  Also, have you tried scanning from the computer with the HP software (you mentioned Image Capture works, but I'm wondering if you tried HP software).

From the manual:

NOTE:

If you are scanning an original from the printer control panel or from your

computer using a the HP printer software, the HP software provided with the printer

must also be installed and running on your computer prior to scanning.

To scan an original to a computer from the printer control panel

Use these steps to scan from the control panel.

Load your original print-side down on the right-front corner of the glass or print-side

up in the ADF. For more information, see Load an original on the scanner glass or

Load an original in the automatic document feeder (ADF).

Touch Scan, and then select Computer.

Touch Document Type to select the type of document you want to save. Touch

Resolution

to change the scan resolution setting.

Make changes to scan options, if needed.

Touch Start Scan.

Mac OS X: Double-click the HP Scans 3 icon. This icon is located in the

Hewlett-Packard

folder in the Applications folder at the top level of the hard

disk.

Select a scan shortcut. Make changes to the scan settings, if needed.

To start the scan, click Scan.

I am an HP employee.
Opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of HP.

Reminder: Please select the Accept as Solution button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may select the Kudos button on any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks.
Top Student
Message 3 of 8 (900 Views)

I have HP Utility and HP Scan open on my Mac. When I tap Start Scan on the 8600, nothing happens. Period.

Very frustrating. I wish someone could either confirm that HP messed up and this does not work as intended — or explain what I need to do to get it work.

Top Student
Message 4 of 8 (899 Views)

To clarify, I can get the HP Scan app to work if I select to scan from the app itself on the Mac. But I cannot get it to work by tapping the Start Scan button on the HP 8600.
PhD Student
Message 5 of 8 (880 Views)

Hi mfiman,

I hate to hear you are having issues.  We may need to configure the device through the utility to scan to the computer, try the steps below.  If you would like to learn more about your product, Click Here.

1. Go to HP utility for 8600 from(system preferences, open scanner, click utility tab)

2. Under scan settings, click scan to computer

3. Make sure a check mark is next to enable scan to computer

4. Click OK on all dialog boxes and close

5. Attempt scan from front panel 

Hope this helps

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.
Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.
I appreciate your input !
Thank You,
I work for HP.
PhD Student
Message 6 of 8 (863 Views)

Hi mfiman,

Are you still experiencing issues?  Did the above steps prove to be the resolution?

Regards,

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.
Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.
I appreciate your input !
Thank You,
I work for HP.
Top Student
Message 7 of 8 (852 Views)

I have tried all of the above suggestions. Nothing has had even the slighest effect on the problem.

Top Student
Message 8 of 8 (837 Views)

The problem is solved. I had tp call HP tech support on phone to get it done.

All they did was use HP Utility to change the destination where documents are saved from the Mac's Documents folder to any other folder (they created one). Now everything worked.

To do so yourself, go to Scanning>Scan To Computer>Sacn Tasks> Save as JPEG (or PDF) and click Edit. Make the change. 

They said this was a known bug.

BTW, when I saved a scan as a PDF instead of a JPG, it saves in Black & White. I could not find a way to change this. So I save as JPG all the time. Still, you have much more control over scanning if you scan from the Mac rather than the printer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation