cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Fernley
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Scan to Email Error Message "cannot connect to server. check server name and address"

I have a HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus. 

I've been using this printer for several months.  Now am getting an ERROR message when I try to scan to email that it "cannot connect to server. check server name and address

I'm not sure how to check this.  We can all still print remotely via the internet connection. 

Anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Level 5 Herculean
Level 5
311 311 10 71
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Scan to Email Error Message "cannot connect to server. check server name and address"

Hi fernley,

Do you have any internet security or firewall software on your system such as Norton, McAfee, BitDefender, F-Secure, etc.?

Also, if you're using Windows Vista or Windows 7, I believe you have to have a username and password setup on your computer thru Control Panel>User Accounts in order to successfully complete the Scan to Email and/or Scan to Network Folder setup.

Show support by clicking the blue Kudos star in the post that resolved your problem. Doing so will help other forum members find their solutions too.

0 Kudos
Fernley
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The emails and passwords have been correctly set up and usable for the last 4 months.  It just quit working this week.  I also cannot access the HP Printer Assistant link thru the HP icon on my computer.  It's there, it just won't open. 

I tried to reinstall the driver via the CD that came with it.  It didn't do anything.

As I mentioned, we can still print remotely via our wireless connection - so the connection it good.

Thank you for your suggestions, but I'm still not sure what else to do. 

0 Kudos
Level 5 Herculean
Level 5
311 311 10 71
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the info.,

Did you recently change your operating system or network router that started to cause this error?

Check out this thread - http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Scanning-Faxing-and-Copying/Configuring-quot-Scan-To-E-mail-quot-on-HP-...

You may also need to change the printer DNS settings manually - http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Install-Setup/HP-8500-Scan-to-Email-setup-cant-conne...

Thanks

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation